Questionnaire: Getting to Know Each Other

Cherubino

English
Fun thread!

1. What is your country of birth? United States
2. What is your current country of residence? United States
3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 163 cm
4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. It's possible for women to grow facial hair as well, isn't it?
5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) I wouldn't consider myself as obsessed with what is chic and "in", but I do appreciate originality and like to mix different flavors together ... if that makes any sense!
6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? French, Italian, Japanese and Chinese (from my limited experience).
7. What is your favorite word? sumptuous
8. What is your least favorite word? exams :D
9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? The world, delicious cuisine, beautiful paintings, relaxing music, vibrant cosmopolitan cities, travelling, meeting people who don't speak my language.
10. What turns you off? Vanity, arrogance, rudeness, tawdry shows of wealth, overconfidence
11. What are your favorite books? Aiie, there are simply far too many to name!
12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Homer, Catullus, Shakespeare
13. Who are your favorite painters? Michelangelo, Tiziano, Veronese, David, Ingres
14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Achilles, Hector
15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? My parents
16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Nero, Catherine the Great, Napoléon Bonaparte
17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I wouldn't know; I don't even have a profession yet.
18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Italy
19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Spending time with friends and family, acquiring more knowledge in the fields I find fascinating.
20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Ignorance (which I think can sometimes be equated with stupidity), boredom, servility, having to grovel and beg.
21. What do you value most in your friends? Their willingness to accept me for who I am, not what I should be, and a good sense of humor.
22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Ehm, being irresistible to the opposite sex! :p
23. How would you like to die? To be honest, I don't ponder this topic very often...
24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome. We have been expecting you.
25. What is your motto? Don't have any.

Four bonus questions:

26. Why did you join WR? I needed a translation for an Italian phrase.
27. What have you learned since joining WR? So much! Not only about languages and grammar but the world as well.
28. What is your favorite thing about WR? I find it incredible that I can "talk" to people living across the ocean. And get fast responses.
29. Chocolate or Nutella? Chocolate, of course!

• Bluey

Romania/n
    1. What is your country of birth?
    Romania

2. What is your current country of residence?
    Romania

3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like.
    1,75 m/ 5 ft. 7

4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any.
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…)
    Casual, comfortable, don't really care for fashion.

6. What are your favorite foods (by category)?
    Meat (!) and sweets (!!)

7. What is your favorite word?
    Crikey!

8. What is your least favorite word?
    employment

9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
    visual stimuli, good combinations of colour, classical and rock/metal music

10. What turns you off?
    bad memories and reality checks

11. What are your favorite books?
    The Waves (Woolf), Satanic Verses (Rushdie), La Peste, L'Etranger (Camus)
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers?
    Rilke, Virginia Woolf, Marguerite Yourcenar, Axel Munthe,Chekhov, Poe
    many others
    13. Who are your favorite painters?
    Monet, Rubens.
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction?
    Maggie (Mill on the Floss)
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life?
    My grandmother and my best friend's mum.
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history?
    no such preferences, history is personalized and unreliable anyway
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? veterinarian
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live?
    a Nordic country, or somewhere with a morally healthy society
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness?
    God's purpose for me and my own coinciding

20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?
    being alone, forlorn, vengeful, resentful, incapable of feeling

21. What do you value most in your friends?
    their support

22. What natural gift would you most like to possess?
    moving people's hearts by playing the violin

23. How would you like to die?
    benefiting some purpose and without much pain or distress

24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
    I knew you'd make it, darling child, here's everything you thought you'd lost.

25. What is your motto?
    "What I write is different from what I say, what I say is different from what I think, what I think is different from what I ought to think and so it goes on further into the deepest darkness."

Three Four bonus questions:

26. Why did you join WR?
    my best friend bugged me about it being so great (she was right)
    27. What have you learned since joining WR?
    that my English is better than I thought
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR?
    The extremely smart and nice people, a rare combo.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Chocolate if it's the best kind, nutella if the chocolate sux. :D

Macunaíma

português, Brasil
    1. What is your country of birth? Brazil
    2. What is your current country of residence? Brazil
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. I’m 1,83m tall
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any.I only shave once or twice a week, so I usually have some stubble
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Hey, not only women can be fashionable!
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? My favourite food is whatever is available when I’m hungry. I’m not fussy about food, but I’m not into seafood, though.

7. What is your favorite word? This may sound odd, but I like the sound of the word prostituta (prostitute).
    8. What is your least favorite word? Advogado :D
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? To be surrounded by friends, going clubbing and when my self-esteem is sky-high (sometimes happens out of the blue, with no objective causes); not being overworked.
    10. What turns you off? Injustice, poverty and disregard for other people’s dignity.
    11. What are your favorite books? Hmmm... I can’t pick just one, but I do remember the first book I couldn’t put down: Histórias de Tia Anastácia, by Monteiro Lobato, a Brazilian author who wrote for children, which I read when I had only just learned to read. I still get that special feeling of being a child again when I browse through it.
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Eça de Queirós, for his superb elegance in the use of the language and his keen inteligence. I may sound like an insensitive troglodyte, but the truth is that I don’t enjoy poetry very much.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Chagall, van Gogh and Franz Post (a Dutch painter who portrayed the ladscapes and scenes of the social life of the northeast of Brazil during the Dutch occupation of Pernambuco under Mauritz van Nassau, in the mid-XVII century)
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? X
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life?X
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? X
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? A restaurant reviewer, perhaps? :rolleyes:

18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Portugal or Italy
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? ??? I wish I had an answer to this... If I said that happiness is X and then a fairy waved her magic wand and gave me X, I would sooner or later get bored with X and imagine that happiness is X² or Y. We are humans, after all. There are no simple answers for us.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? People who treat others like trash to feel better about themselves
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Loyalty
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Eloquence and wit
    23. How would you like to die? Knowing that I’m dying, but without pain.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? I don’t know... the thought of eternity frightens me a little bit.
    25. What is your motto? Live and let live.

26. Why did you join WR? Because my English was deteriorating rapidly and I was losing touch with it.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? An awful lot!
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? That people are generous enough to take the time to give me detailed and elaborated answers to my questions, that they make sure I have understood it, just for the sake of it, without wanting anything in return. I have found people in the EO Forum, for example, who have no idea how much they’ve helped me.
    29. Chocolate or Nu
    tella? Neither.

anonymous_me

Zambia
    1. What is your country of birth? Zambia
    2. What is your current country of residence? US
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 5'4"
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) laid back chic
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? I love indian food
    7. What is your favorite word? oh yeah?(2 words..hehe)
    8. What is your least favorite word? n/a
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? good non judgemental people
    10. What turns you off? liars
    11. What are your favorite books? Everyone worthknowing & God dont like ugly
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? n/a
    13. Who are your favorite painters? n/a
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? n/a
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? my mum
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Nelson Mandela, Ferdinand Magellan(i know..random. i just like his name really :eek:)..)
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? football(not US) player
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Italy, Brazil or England..and France..
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? peace
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? feeling lost
    21. What do you value most in your friends? loyalty
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? hmmm
    23. How would you like to die? ..of natural causes..eek!
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?..umm...Welcome?..=]
    25. What is your motto? do unto others as you'd want them to treat you

26. Why did you join WR? I am trying to learn Spanish..and my Italian friend wrote me something I didnt understand..needed translation.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Learning different languages makes you a better global citizen
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? ...hmmm
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D..both!

Black Opal

English
    Germany but I am English (army brat)

Italy

3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like.
    5' 4"

N/A

Arty/Casual/Floaty:cool:

Sweets, as in cakes and pasticcini but also sweets and chocolate
    Pasta

Jewellery

Housework :mad:

Painting, making jewellery, being in London, being in Venice, being in Pompeii..

10. What turns you off?
    Rude people, Housework :mad:

Biographies

Don't like poetry, enjoy historic novels and Nelson Demille

Klimt, Michelangelo, Dalì, Renoir, Enjolras, Millais, Godward, Alma-Tadema...

John McClane

My dad.

Anne Boleyn and Katherine Howard, for their cheek

17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
    Goldsmith

Hawaii appeals to me :cool:

Health and Wealth (enough money not to have to ever worry about it) and a happy family

being both horribly poor and horribly ignorant at once

loyalty and humour

To eat what I like and not put on weight :p

In my sleep

24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
    "Fancy a cuppa with your dad?"

25. What is your motto?
    Live for the day, but don't be stupid about it.

26. Why did you join WR?
    I like being pedantic (and helpful if I can) :D

There are people more pedantic and better informed than me ;)

Don't know, only joined today!

29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D
    Must I choose?

Vagabond

1. What is your country of birth? Greece
    2. What is your current country of residence? UK
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 170 cm
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. N/A
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Oh God. I have no clue, I wear whatever appeals to my sense of taste (could be very fashionable or completely out of date).
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Hm? Good question. Cheese, spicy stuff, sweets, junk food
    7. What is your favorite word? Don't think I have one...
    8. What is your least favorite word? I don't have one of that, either
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Intelligent people and intriguing debates
    10. What turns you off? Doublecrossing, backstabbing, hypocritical SOBs / People who have no idea what they want / Discrimination (that's more of a "what makes you see red" thing, actually)
    11. What are your favorite books? Well-written fantasy/mystery/sci-fi books (can't pick one)
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? I don't have any favourite ones, I think... I appreciate too many to list.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? See above
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Always the bad guy...
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? I make a point not to idolise people
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Socrates
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Shrink
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? I don't live in my own country... I'd prefer to live further up north, though.
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? No such thing.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? To actually persuade yourself you are completely useless and redundant.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? That they can put up with me
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? I'd like to be able to read people's minds (but that's not all that natural, is it? Hmm.)
    23. How would you like to die? Realising that I am dying. Not too much pain either, please.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Come on in.
    25. What is your motto? There's always light at the end of the tunnel

26. Why did you join WR? To ask a question about a French term
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Lots of cultural specifics around the world (...and the term I asked for, of course:D )
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Here we go with the "favourite" questions again :( I suppose that would be diversity.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D Hell, both. :D

chicagriega

Greece greek
    [1. What is your country of birth? Greece
    2. What is your current country of residence? Greece
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 155 cm
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Casual
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Sweets and Pasta
    7. What is your favorite word? Love
    8. What is your least favorite word? Hate
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Music
    10. What turns you off? traffic
    11. What are your favorite books? Detective and love stories
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Agatha Cristi, Cathy Kelly, Paullina Simons
    13. Who are your favorite painters? El Greco
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Hercule Poirrot
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life?uniseff voluntiars
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Leonidas of Sparta
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? tv host
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Spain
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? someone who loves me
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? no money
    21. What do you value most in your friends? be there when i need them
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? fresh air
    23. How would you like to die? peacefully in my sleep
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome
    25. What is your motto? Smile! Costs nothing, means a lot!

26. Why did you join WR? to practice languages
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? a lot about different coyltures
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? meet people from other countries
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D[/quote] Chocolate

Suilan

Germany (NRW)
    1. What is your country of birth? -- Germany, Nordrhein-Westphalen

2. What is your current country of residence? -- Germany, Baden-Württemberg

3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. -- 168cm

5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) -- Autumn colors.

6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? -- anything I cook myself

7. What is your favorite word? -- preposterous

8. What is your least favorite word? -- now

9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? -- Beethoven's Prisoners' Choir from Fidelio.

10. What turns you off? -- narrow minds. Anyone who puts rules above the person. People complaining in the village paper that some bad folks in the village (say, 80-year old ladies who can barely walk or move their fingers and whose only son lives 100km away) don't sweep their sidewalks every Saturday.

11. What are your favorite books? -- #1 is a tie between Thomas Mann's "Buddenbrooks" and Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. #2 Robert McLiam Wilson, Eureka Street, #3 Iain Banks, Crow Road.

12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? -- Thomas Mann

13. Who are your favorite painters? -- anyone can paint better than me.

14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? -- Jake Jackson, from Eureka Street. Miles Vorkosigan, in the Vorkosigan Series by McMaster Bujold.

15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? -- Teachers. They have more courage than I can imagine having, facing a class full of monsters, never earning a single word of praise, only public scorn, and these words from our ex-chancellor: "Lehrer sind faule Säcke." I would shoot myself before entering a classroom to teach.

16. Who are your favorite characters in history? -- Friedrich der Große. Henry VIII. Alexander von Humboldt. Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Neanderthal Men

17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? -- being a published writer

18. In what country other than your own would you like to live? -- Back in NRW, near the beautiful Rhine River and my dear Neander Valley.

19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? -- Not having to do the "Kehrwoche," with being published a close runner-up

20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? -- clinical depression

21. What do you value most in your friends? -- that they overlook my flaws

22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? -- a charming personality

23. How would you like to die? -- quick; not in the middle of a novel. Don't want to leave any fragments for the following generations to puzzle about.

24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? -- "I hope you don't mind that it's a bit crowded, but I've decided a long time ago that worshipping me is not a prerequisite for entering heaven. So, if you want to ask the Neanderthal People a few questions, as I know you do, why don't you come this way, please."

25. What is your motto? -- We are but dust. Nothing is so important to hurt anyone for.

Lopes

Dutch (Amsterdam)
    1. What is your country of birth? Netherlands
    2. What is your current country of residence? Netherlands, soon Italy :)
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 1,88 meter
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. Ehm.. need to shave.. :p
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Dutch Pancakes, Pizza, Winegums, Crisps
    7. What is your favorite word? Sjawel
    8. What is your least favorite word? The German word Sauerkraut
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Music?
    10. What turns you off? A really ugly accent in Dutch
    11. What are your favorite books? Discovery of Heaven (Harry Mulisch), Secret History (Donna Tartt)..... All Harry Potter books
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Herman Brusselmans, Stephen King
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Leonardo Da Vinci, Rembrandt
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Snelle Jelle!
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Cristian Chivu and the artists of Opgezwolle
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Da Vinci
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Translator, journalist
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Italy or Spain
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Having nothing on your mind to worry about (nice weather helps too)
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Having no self-respect
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Money :) (or that you can trust them and laugh with them)
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? The being irresistible to the opposite sex mentioned above, and being very, very, very, very, really, insanely good at soccer.
    23. How would you like to die? Of old age?
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome (anything that's not "sorry, you can't come in here")
    25. What is your motto? As is verbrande turf

26. Why did you join WR? Because I needed to know the exact meaning of the word 'fortuna' used by Boccaccio
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? The exact meaning of the word 'fortuna' used by Boccaccio
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? That anyone can help anyone
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Nutella obviously

tilt

French French
    France

France

171 cm / 5'7"

Usually none

Are men supposed to go naked? :rolleyes:

6. What are your favourite foods (by category)?
    Good food!

7. What is your favourite word?
    Peace

8. What is your least favourite word?
    Prejudice

Love, beauty, humour

10. What turns you off?
    Intolerance, violence, hate, money

11. What are your favourite books?
    Many ones, but let's say Fynn's "M. God, this is Anna"

12. Who are your favourite poets and/or writers?
    Isaac Asimov, Terry Pratchet,
    Daniel Pennac, Raymond Devos 13. Who are your favourite painters?
    M.C. Escher, Magritte, Dali, Van Gogh

14. Who are your favourite heroes or heroines of fiction?
    Mafalda for her wisdom and Charlot for his humour (and reciprocally)

15. Who are your favourite heroes or heroines in real life?
    Gandhi, MLK (and, on a completely different level of course, Thom Yorke)

Gandhi, MLK
    Musician

Netherlands or Ireland

Being master of my own destiny

Ignoring love

Frankness, humour

Musical talent

Asleep, during a nice dream

Sorry for all that mess, down below.

25. What is your motto?
    Generalities are generally wrong.

26. Why did you join WR?
    To practice and improve my English.

Various vocabulary and grammar rules.
    And that
    I must remember to read carefully before to answer a thread.
    :rolleyes:

The accuracy of its dictionaries, the reactivity of its forums, and above all many nice and interesting people contributing.

Both. Why choosing?

LaurentK

France, FrançaisIrlandais
    1. What is your country of birth? France
    2. What is your current country of residence? France
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. Six pieds 1 pouce
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. That's the problem, there is not much of any :p
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Fast Slow food !
    7. What is your favorite word? Candour
    8. What is your least favorite word? Feature
    10. What turns you off? Selfishness
    11. What are your favorite books? Lists are dangerous ;)... Les Somnanbules-Arthur Koestler, A la recherche...-Marcel, and maybe 5678 others
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? None, apart from Rimbaud, Yeats, Gainsgourg, Simenon, and 6789 others
    13. Who are your favorite painters? No favouritism! Bruegel the Elder, Tiepolo, Ingres, Soutine, Velázquez, Renoir, Monet et les Dürer, Cézanne, Betremieux, et d'autres et d'autres (7890)
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Emma Peel, The Silver Surfer
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? We can be heroes, just for one day
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Apneist
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? After Paris, I might hesitate between London, Manhattan, Rio, Mexico or Shanghai, but I think that I will go DESERT!
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Learn who you are and be yourself
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Duplicity
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Nothing, « Je l’aimais parce que c’était lui, parce que c’était moi »
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Unconditional love
    23. How would you like to die? Très vite
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome back!
    25. What is your motto? Don't hit the deck...

26. Why did you join WR? It began with a closed, deserted diner, and a man too long without sleep to continue his journey. It began with the landing of a craft from another galaxy...
    AND I GOT HOOKED
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? That I dont know (enough) my own language :eek: .
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? WR is about People from around the world. It should be WORLD REFERENCE!
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Chocolate makes me go NUTS! :D

Nil-the-Frogg

Français (France)
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 188 cm
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. Too much, if you ask me.
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Not at all, I'm afraid. Could you remind me what fashion is? :D
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? The less "chemicals", the better.
    7. What is your favorite word? It was another one, just five minutes ago and will change again within five minutes, but I like "florilège".
    8. What is your least favorite word? I don't think it could really qualify as the most disliked, but the first one that I don't like to come to mind right now is "catéchèse"
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Books, music, humor, forum discussions
    10. What turns you off? Useless rudeness.
    11. What are your favorite books? Historical novels, science fiction and fantasy.
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Patrick Süskind, Amélie Nottomb, Albert Camus and many others.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Dali, Bosch, Spilliaert...
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Cyrano de Bergerac
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? I'm no one's stalwart but still somewhat admire people like Ghandi or Ayaan Hirsi Ali
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? See 15., but Epicure and Jean Jaurès come to mind.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Writer or perhaps blacksmith.
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Maybe Canada or Scandinavia, but I've never been there so it is pure speculation.
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? I wish I knew.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? To become a slave, which is unfortunately very common.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Why... friendship, of course!
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Intelligence (and also the ability to know what I truly want).
    23. How would you like to die? I have not decided yet.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "What the Hell are you?"
    25. What is your motto? No motto for me, thanks.

26. Why did you join WR? I needed to improve my awful English and had questions about translations.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? That I should improve my French as well and that learning languages eats up much time.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? See 9.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Since the question is not "Chocolate xor Nutella", give me both.

franzisca

Italy - italian
    1. What is your country of birth? Italy
    2. What is your current country of residence? Italy
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 169 cm
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) It depends on the mood :rolleyes:
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Oh my good I love any kind of food, maybe I'm predictable but.. PASTA :D. And vegetables. italian food, ok???? :D
    7. What is your favorite word? Gioia
    8. What is your least favorite word? Noioso
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Reading, talking late night with close friends, staring at wild animals and wild nature.
    10. What turns you off? Boring talkin, Noise, bad music, rudeness
    11. What are your favorite books? Montedidio - Erri De Luca, Eureka Street - mc Liam Wilson, oh my God I should list too many:confused:
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Pablo Neruda, Erri De Luca, Andrea Camilleri
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Modigliani :love: Felice Casorati, Cézanne :lovelove:
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? none (ok maybe dr House:D)
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Don Luigi Ciotti, Falcone e Borsellino
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Galileo Galilei!
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Painter
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Ireland or Spain
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? my dog sleeping at my feet, a warm coffee and peace in my mind..
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Violence. Servility. Arrogance. humiliation.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? humour, intelligence, glow..
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? ehm.. empathy - sense of humour (trust me:D)
    23. How would you like to die? while sleeping
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome francesca, there you can buy your cigarettes and over there you'll find the restaurant..
    25. What is your motto? The sun always rises even after the darkest night

26. Why did you join WR? I was searching help for some translations...
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Ehm I don't remember (whahah)
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? The clean but comfortable place :)
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? VERY DARK CHOCOLATE :cool:

argentina84

Argentina Spanish
    1. What is your country of birth? Argentina
    2. What is your current country of residence? Argentina (so far)
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 167 cm 5' 6"
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. I am a woman. Love short-haired men.
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Personal style, depends on the day and my mood.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)?Vegetable pie, ice cream, green apples, grapes, watermelon, wholesome bread. French fries!
    7. What is your favorite word? “Cinderella”, “parfait” , “sweet”
    8. What is your least favorite word? "Potato"
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?? Good books, listening to my favourite songs, smelling flowers, feeling the wind on my face, watching films that move me, my boyfriend’s sweet voice, watching the sky on a starry night, getting wet on a rainy day, etc.

10. What turns you off? Mmm capitalism, competence, violence.
    11. What are your favorite books? Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights, Don Quijote, Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Le Petit Prince, Othello, The Lord of the Rings, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, etc.
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Don’t like poetry. Shakespeare, the Brontë sisters, Edgar Allan Poe, Jane Austen, etc.

13. Who are your favorite painters? Vincent van Gogh, Monsalves, Salvador Dali (some works), Claude Monet, Paul Gaugin.
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction?? Elizabeth Bennet, Mafalda.
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life?? Jesus Christ, my mother, of course!, princess Diana, Martin Luther King, Socrates, Juana de Arco
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Juan Manuel Belgrano (national hero)

17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?Flight attendant
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? All of them, in turn?
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness?Love and peace. A place where all children can grow happy and healthy.

20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? War, pride, and hypocrisy. Intolerance.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Loyalty and honesty.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Pacience!
    23. How would you like to die? Having done something good for the ones I am leaving behind/ in my sleep.

24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Well done!
    25. What is your motto?
    Cause and effect!
    I always contradict myself! (lol)

26. Why did you join WR? Curiousity!
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? More than ever before! To be open minded and account for what I say.

28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Its seriousness and multiculturality.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Chocolate!

french_horn_girl_13

English Canada
    1. What is your country of birth? Canada!!!
    2. What is your current country of residence?Canada!!!!
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like.4ft 11 1/2"
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…)Fun
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)?Italian:pASTA!!!! Tirimasu, Cannoli, Pizza Canadian: Poutine, Canadian Bacon, Beaver Tails (the pastry), maple syrup MEAT!!! I used to live on a beef farm, so obviously. Also, Bacon, cheese, chocolate, gravy, perogies, ice cream, I LOVE FOOD!!!!!!!!!!! There are too many good things.
    7. What is your favorite word? Snazzy or fabo. my fave french word is caouctou or however it is spelt. It means rubber
    8. What is your least favorite word? swears that I am not going to write down
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?food
    10. What turns you off?bad food
    11. What are your favorite books? Leap Day, cookbooks, The Mars Diaries, Cyberquest
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Gordon Korman, Meg Cabot
    13. Who are your favorite painters? the elephant at the Calgary Zoo
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction?Any girls cuz girls rock
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life?my mom (and her favorite twin sister ever!!)that was my twin
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history?Mickey Mouse
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?Interior Designer or pastry chef
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live?NO where. CANADA ROX!!!!
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness?Everyone being happy and asking for forgiveness
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?war
    21. What do you value most in your friends?that they are honest and always there for me and that they are kind
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess?fortitude
    23. How would you like to die?peacefully at home surrounded by my family
    24. Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?Heaven does exist, and I would like to her God say Hello.
    25. What is your motto?Food is delicious. or Even if you are on the right road, if you stop, you'll get runover.

26. Why did you join WR?Because I couldn't find a word in the dictionary
    27. What have you learned since joining WR?Lots of interesting words and phrases
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR?the smileys
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :DCHOCOLATE!!!!

lizd64

Français - France
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 1,75 m
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Hope to be lovely :p
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? burritos!!
    7. What is your favorite word? sieste
    8. What is your least favorite word? chiner
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? romantic movies and pop music
    10. What turns you off? fanaticism, GW Bush and Sarkozy
    11. What are your favorite books? there are too many...
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Molière
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Dali
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? ... can't see
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? my grandfather
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Pasteur and Einstein
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? surgeon (in another life maybe...)
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Canada or Mexico
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Food, water and understanding for everyone
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? human stupidity
    21. What do you value most in your friends? our frienship!
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? universal knowledge :rolleyes:
    23. How would you like to die? while sleeping
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? The party's over there, please have a drink and enjoy!
    25. What is your motto? Aide toi toi même

26. Why did you join WR? to join the forums
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? that translating is not easy...
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? forums
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D difficult... can I say both? :eek:

DrLindenbrock

Italian
    2. What is your current country of residence? Still Italy
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 1,95 cm (I’ve always had trouble converting it into feet… it should be between 6.3 and 6.4)
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. It depends. I like myself with a short beard, but everybody but my best friend (a she) tells me I should shave. This is the problem…
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Mexican (or – most likely – Tex-Mex) and Yemeni, cause they both have lots of cumin. And Italian (Umbria and Tuscany especially). I like being a “food tourist”…
    7. What is your favorite word? Not easy to choose. In English, maybe “sunshine”.
    8. What is your least favorite word? sinful (except if referring to chocolate cakes…)
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Carrying on multi-lingual conversations with multi-lingual people… obsessed, huh?
    10. What turns you off? Having to say someone was my friend.
    11. What are your favorite books? When I was young, Jules Verne’s “Mystery Island”. Now, Asimov’s. I’m not much into classics.
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? One for all, Isaac Asimov.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? I’m not into art.
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Superman (btw, my real name is not DrLindenbrock – as I hope you’ve realized – but Clark Kent)
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? I appreciate normal people who try to do their best, especially when the general public doesn’t realize how hard they try.
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? The Romans from the Republican times and the Phoenicians.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? A translator, a teacher, an academic.
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? France!
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Being able to eat, drink and shower when I please. Then, it’s easier to think about the rest.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Ignorance (when there could be a remedy)
    21. What do you value most in your friends? They instantly know when I’m joking or when I mean it.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Be more skilled in Mathematics – that is, be able to grasp concepts more quickly.
    23. How would you like to die? In my sleep, when I’m too old for my loved ones to be too sad about it.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “Feel free to ask any and as many questions you wish”
    25. What is your motto? Hm, I don’t have an official one…

26. Why did you join WR? It’s exactly the kind of forum I’m comfy in.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? The world is full of helpful, amazing and incredibly kind people.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? It’s my idea of a perfect forum.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? 72% dark chocolate

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I like to end each night with the questionnaire devised by Bernard Pivot, of Apostrophe and Bouillon de Culture:

1. What is your country of birth? United States of America
    2. What is your current country of residence? United States of America (via Central America)
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 5'5" (so you cannot accuse me of a Napoleon complex, as he was taller than I am).
    4. Facial hair adornments. Depending on my current job and social schedule, clean shaven to a fairly scruffy beard.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Italian, French, Mexican, Japanese, Thai, Indian, Peruvian, Filipino, Vietnamese, Ethiopian... (I love living in northern California)
    7. What is your favorite word? Think
    8. What is your least favorite word? Anything that "assumes": tradition, conventional wisdom, common sense,
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Individuality and compassion
    10. What turns you off? Boredom: it's a fallacious concept, because boredom is not logically possible in a world this big and varied and surprising. I dislike euphemisms, falsehoods, polite fictions, denial...
    11. What are your favorite books? The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy,
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? García Marquez, Cortázar, Gaiman, Douglas Adams, Hobbes, Twain, Mencken, P.J. O'Rourke, E.O. Wilson, Desmond, D. Brin, Verne, Kafka, St. Exupery, R. Amaya Amador, Poe, Steinbeck, Munro, Flannery O'Connor, Vonnegut Jr., Joseph Heller, Borges, Asturias, Rulfo, Roque Dalton, Neruda, Vargas Llosa, Beckett, Chaucer... ars longa, vita brevis
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Monet, Magritte, Pollock, Klee, Manet, Schiele, Picasso, Kandinsky, Escher, Hanna, Barbera, Iwerks
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? We're all just human.
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? All the people who also died for our sins: Socrates, Hypatia, Giordano Bruno, etc.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Freelance phrenologist
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? The Dreaming
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? "A jug of wine, a loaf of bread, a book of verse, and thou": books and friends are requisite, the liquor and food are secondary (but very much appreciated)
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Trapped by the expectations of others or by societal norms
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Integrity and a vigorous sense of humor
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? I wonder what it would be like to have the same mindset and reactions as the vast majority of people, but I have too much ego to really want this.
    23. How would you like to die? Missed but unmourned.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "You made me laugh."
    25. What is your motto? "This too shall pass."

26. Why did you join WR? Part-time translation work for non-profit organizations (I looked up some medical jargon)
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Admiration for all those learning other languages
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? The brilliance of the posters and their love of helping others; the challenge
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Peanut butter

Nanon

français (France)
    2. What is your current country of residence? Ahem, my permanent address is in France. But I may be somewhere else when you read these lines.
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 1.61 m (?)
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. n/a
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Lovely is what I wish to hear, not necessarily 'fashionable'.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Oh my God. I love Italian pasta and I wish I could have beer, but I discovered I was gluten-intolerant in my 40's. Aaargh! Luckily there are many other delicious things (including point 29)
    7. What is your favorite word? What? Just one? Are you kidding?! :D
    8. What is your least favorite word? Implement, optimize... and suchlike, in any language.
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Music. Love and affection.
    10. What turns you off? Injustice.
    11. What are your favorite books? Non-exhaustive list of unputdownables:
    Virtually anything by Cortázar. Virtually anything by Dickens also. Oh, and Saramago. Les Fleurs du Mal. La Recherche. Shakespeare's sonnets (oh, and why just the sonnets? let's say 'virtually anything' too). Master and Margarita. The Idiot. El Quijote. Jan Potocki: Manuscrit trouvé à Saragosse. The 1001 Nights.
    Hugo: L'homme qui rit.
    Also Ariel Dorfman: Rumbo al Sur, deseando el Norte (autobiography: about language, bilinguism, loosing a language and adopting another one etc...)
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? The 'virtually anything' list in 11. Antonio Machado. Neruda. Borges. Proust. George Sand. Jean Échenoz. René Char. Valéry Larbaud. Blok. Tsvetaeva. Rilke. Dictionaries. Encyclopaedias. Molière. Isaac Asimov. I hope I will discover more and more and more!!!
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Impressionists. XIX century landscape painting. Klimt. Klee. Chagall. Andrey Rublyov. I hope I will discover more and more and more too. I also like photography.
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? El Quijote. Mafalda!!!
    15-16. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life/in history? Too many to answer. Those who fight for freedom in general. Even without weapons.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Orchestra conductor. I studied singing and I was frustrated not to play an instrument well, but if I conduct an orchestra I will play them all!
    A tough one for me, this one. Will I ever manage to make a choice between Europe and Latin America?
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? No more wars. No more poverty. So that I could be excessively happy without feeling guilty :D!!!
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? People wishing other people's death.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Love.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Learning fast and without pain! Being a writer.
    23. How would you like to die? Also without pain.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? As said Rabelais: Fay ce que vouldras. Do as you will.
    25. What is your motto? Do as you will. And harm none.

26. Why did you join WR? I was doing a search on Google at work. I clicked the link... and I discovered many, many things I was looking for, all at the same place. Then I got hooked.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Oh, many, many things in every language I know and of course even in those I don't. Selfishly speaking, this frustrated translator also discovered how much she was missing languages studies and talking about language.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? People helping other people and building a common knowledge base, without expecting anything in return.
    29. Chocolate or chocolate? Chocolate, of course!!! Dark. Venezuelan cocoa is the best in the world, at least to me. Ah, and also Belgian pralines... :D

Eáránë

Belgium, Dutch (Flemish)
    1. What is your country of birth? Belgium
    2. What is your current country of residence? Belgium
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 166 cm
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) I try to be fashionable, but I still have a preference for black clothes :p
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Italian (pasta, pasta, pasta, ...) - Belgian (home food :p)
    7. What is your favorite word? whoopsy daisy!
    8. What is your least favorite word? exams
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? music, a beautiful film, a good book, ... visiting Great Britain :D:D
    10. What turns you off? pompous, arrogant, snobbish people
    11. What are your favorite books? The Secret History - Donna Tartt (but also thrillers, detective stories, fantasy books, ...)
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? J.K Rowling, Brontë sisters, Oscar Wilde, ...
    13. Who are your favorite painters? /
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Harry Potter, Frodo, ...
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? First of all: my parents and the rest of my family. Apart from them, there are many people I look up to.
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? the Vikings :p
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I don't have a profession yet, but I would like to learn as many languages as possible
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Great Britain!!!!!!!!!!!
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Spending quality time with family and friends
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? war, human stupidity, rudeness, ... (sadly, this list is far too long)
    21. What do you value most in your friends? that they stand up for me, support me and that they are there for me all the time
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? unconditional love
    23. How would you like to die? peacefully and without pain
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Now you will see your loved ones again"
    25. What is your motto? I don't really have a motto, but I came across a very nice quote once:

"The best moments in reading are when you come across something, a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things that you’d thought special, particular to you. And there it is set down by someone else, a person you’ve never met, maybe even someone long dead. And it’s as if a hand has come out and taken yours." From The History Boys by Alan Bennett

Four bonus questions:

26. Why did you join WR? I was looking for a Scottish Gaelic translation and I accidently found the WR forum
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? a lot of grammar, but also things that are not to be found in vocabulary lists or grammar books
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? that I am able to discuss languages with different people from all over the world!
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Dark chocolate :D

LaLoquita

American English
    1. What is your country of birth? USA, EEUU
    2. What is your current country of residence? the same
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 5'4"
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) I try to look up-to-date, but comfort is my main thing--and how well something looks on my I've-had-4-kids bod
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Mexican, Chinese, Italian, down-south grub
    7. What is your favorite word? mama
    8. What is your least favorite word? divorce
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? my kids
    10. What turns you off? phoniness
    11. What are your favorite books? Mystery, psychological thrillers, historical fiction
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Carmen Laforet, Patricia Cornwell, Jane Austen, too many to mention. I read a lot . . .
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Monet
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? I don't think I have any favorites
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? my sister and brother-in-law, my children
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Abe Lincoln (my 3rd cousin 5 times removed), Los Niñoes Héroes, Queen Elizabeth I
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? not a totally different profession, just a different branch--fiction translation. I think that would be so fun. Much more fun than Safe Job Procedures and Drug Abuse Policies . . .
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Mexico
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? having my children with me
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? having nothing to live for and no hope
    21. What do you value most in your friends? loyalty and compassion
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? compassion
    23. How would you like to die? peacefully, maybe in my sleep
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome home. Come in and rest.
    25. What is your motto? It's not about me; it's about my kids.

26. Why did you join WR? I use free online translation services a lot, and this one has been the most helpful, education, interesting and fun that I've found. I love working with real people to find and give answers to all of our questions.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? So much I couldn't even begin to tell you! Grammar, vocabulary, cultural points . . .
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? interacting with people all over the world
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D[/quote] Must you ask?? Chocolate!

steffiegomez

Mexico, Spanish & English
    1. What is your country of birth? México
    2. What is your current country of residence? México City, Coyoacan
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. Since last month, shorter than my 11 year old boy...:(...1.63m
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Simple, plain & comfortable.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? fresh grilled tuna, almost rare, with a little bit of soy sauce and steamed asparagus followed by a decadent chocolate cake with homemade vainilla ice cream.
    7. What is your favorite word? libélula, albahaca
    8. What is your least favorite word? its a bad word, I can't write it down.
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Finishing a good book, and wanting more. Sunsets. Fresh crisp air against my face. My sons bursting out in laugher. Spongy clouds over a very blue sky like in Oaxaca.
    10. What turns you off? News.
    11. What are your favorite books? Atonement (Ian McEwan), Suite Francaise (Irene Nemirovsky), La Isla de la Pasión (Laura Restrepo), as a girl all Enid Blyton, specially 7 secrets.
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Number ONE Ian McEwan, after him: Mario Vargas Llosa, Paul Auster, Haruki Murakami, Eca de Queiroz, Mariana Alcoforado, García Marquez, Antonio Skármeta, Rosa Montero, Jorge Ibarguengoitia...
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Sorolla, Sargent, Alma Tadema, and my brother.
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Mrs. Jessica Fletcher (Murder she wrote...),
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Don't really know...a few.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? writer
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? in my country Campeche. Outside my country, Ireland with no rain.
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Tolerance, respect and love among all us.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? homeless people, abandoned children..
    21. What do you value most in your friends? true and honest friendship. Feeling they care about me.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? patience
    23. How would you like to die? during my sleep
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? mi casa es tu casa... welcome!!!
    25. What is your motto? respect the others as you respect yourself

26. Why did you join WR? while doing a translation, lookup something It didn't sound right as I wrote it.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? not as much as I'd like...would need more time to surf WR
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? How nice and helpful people from allover the world are...
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D[/quote] of course, chocolate:D

Idiomático

Latin American Spanish
    1. What is your country of birth? Puerto Rico
    2. What is your current country of residence? Lorton, Virginia, USA
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 5'8"
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. None
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? I like all foods, especially if they've been prepared by a French cook
    7. What is your favorite word? Amour
    8. What is your least favorite word? Haine
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Beautiful women, beautiful language
    10. What turns you off? Arrogance, vulgarity
    11. What are your favorite books? The Bible, studies of manners and morals
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? The Spanish classics, García Márquez, Neruda, Nervo, Lloréns-Torres, Jane Austen, Anthony Trollope, Edith Wharton, Tennessee Williams, Poe,
    De Maupassant, Victor Hugo, Ronsard (Quand vous serez bien vielle, le soir, a la chandelle...; Mignonne, allons voir si la rose...)
    13. Who are your favorite painters? The Impressionists
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Can't say
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Jesus Christ, St. Francis, St. Teresa of Avila
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Jesus Christ, St. Francis, St.Teresa of Avila
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I worked happily as a translator until I retired. It's too late now to think about attempting anything else.
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? France, Italy, Spain (in that order)
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Vacationing with my wife, children, and grandchildren (preferably in Puerto Rico)
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Another war, another Dubya in the White House,
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Loyalty, generosity, humor
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Wisdom
    23. How would you like to die? I'll take what comes
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Come in and make yourself at home
    25. What is your motto? Your will be done

26. Why did you join WR? I'm studying Italian in my old age. A classmate told me about it.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? That there are many others who are just as passionate about languages as I am
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? The other foreros' comments
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Raspberry jam or, better yet, moules-à-la-crème

kid TJ

Slovenia, slovene
    1. What is your country of birth? Slovenija.
    2. What is your current country of residence? Slovenia.
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 1,66 m.
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. :p

5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Fun (childish), don't know…:confused:
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? All sorts of sweets, all sorts of vegetables and all sort of dairy products! mmm
    7. What is your favorite word? Have lots of them. But perhaps: poljub :eek:
    , potka, mavrica… (don't wanna translate them I like the way they sound).
    8. What is your least favorite word? Violence.
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Creative people!
    10. What turns you off? People and things that are not creative.
    11. What are your favorite books? Soooo many! Some of them: Deževen dan je krasen dan (Polonca Kovač), Winnie-the-Pooh (A. A. Milne), Le petit Nicolas (Ren
    é Goscinny),(maybe something more grown-up :cool:: War and Peace (L. N. Tolstoj) -read bacwards from the last to the first book:)).
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? I don't know. I always find something I like about everyone.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? They're all interesting!
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Pippi Longstocking (Astrid Lindgren), angels…
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? People that I admire (I admire peolple that are creative and nice!), angels…
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? People who did something good.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I don't have a profession. I don't know what I would like to do, I like too many things!:confused:
    18. In what country other than your own would you like to live? Mmmm ... Lets say: France, Suisse, Canada…
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Being able to be what I am! And to do what I want!
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Not being able to be yourself and to do what you want.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? That they are exactly the way they are! Perfect!
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? To be able to help others.
    23. How would you like to die? Not too quickly (and not too soon if possible), so I could prepare myself and the people who care about me for it. (So I wouldn't be too scared and others wouldn't be too sad).
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? You are a good kid! (You can become an angel if you want).
    25. What is your motto? Try to be the best yourself you can be!

26. Why did you join WR? I thought it would be really fun to be able to talk to so many different people and ask for their advice.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? A lot of things. But most importantly I think: to trust myself a little more, and to know that it's not the end of the world if I make some stupid mistakes :eek: and that people will still be nice to me even if I do make some stupid mistakes! Thanks! :)
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Intelligent and nice people!
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? I really don't care as long as it's sweet!!!!!!!!!! njammmmm

Angel.Aura

Italian
    Italy

Italy

1,65 mt

Sober and feminine (that's the aim, at least...).
    I like nearly anything edible and (or) alcoholic.
    Yes
    Blasphemy
    Good music and good company
    10. What turns you off?
    Dishonesty
    Sorry, I read them and forget...

Leonardo Sciascia, Andrea Camilleri, Elmore Leonard, Michael Connelly, James Ellroy, Pablo Neruda, Patrizia Cavalli, Alda Merini and... oh, soooo many!
    Preraffaellites, Gustav Klimt, Raffaello Sanzio, Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo Buonarroti, Vincent Van Gogh, Caravaggio
    Wonder Woman. She is my inspiration every day.
    Working mothers/wives.
    Akhenaton (Amenophi IV), Jesus.
    Famous actress.
    Spain, maybe. But I feel so lucky to live where I live...
    Travelling around the world, knowing that all your beloved ones are well.
    Gratuitous cruelty.
    Dignity.
    Healing powers.
    In my sleep, dreaming of all my moments of joy.
    Bentornata! (Welcome back!)
    25. What is your motto?
    Fa' al tuo prossimo ciò che vorresti fosse fatto a te.

26. Why did you join WR?
    I needed to translate something.
    Ho imparato che "so di non sapere" (Socrate). I learnt that "All I know is that I know nothing".
    Confrontation.
    29a
    First, it's worth knowing that the world is divideded into two: the ones who like dark chocolate and the ones who like milk or white chocolate. There's something I must tell to the ones who like milk/white chocolate: how dare you call it chocolate? :rolleyes:
    So my answer is: Dark chocolate (the only one possible).
    Also because, simply adding hazelnut cream you'll obtain...
    29b Nutella.
    Gnam!
    :)

Last edited:

Dulce_Belén

USA
    México - Español
    México
    USA
    1.72mts
    Fun, feminine, and conservative all at the same time :D
    Why by category?...Ice cream, chocolate, pineapple, berries, actually all fruits and most of veggies AND chinese, thai, mexican, italian food.
    Prohibited and Pumpkin (because I can't pronounce it right)
    Any word that is over-used, eg. when people say "like" a lot when they speak...that's just a pet peeve I guess.:(
    Learning, being close to kids, spending time with my family, nature.:)
    10. What turns you off?
    Lies, nagging, complaining.
    I don´t know yet.
    All of us are the greatest poets....aren't we?? ;)
    Monet, Dalí, Picasso
    Lisa Simpson :p
    All the people that I know.
    God.
    Architect, Advocate, Chef, Dancer.
    México, Spain, Italy...and that´s it so far (I change my mind quite often)
    Love who you are and accept others as they are.
    Loneliness, not physical, but spiritual.
    Their knowledge and the patience they have with me :eek:
    The ability to speak all the lanuages that exist, and make this world a whole.
    I would like it very much, when the time comes, thank you for asking :rolleyes:
    ..I was waiting for you...or...You've accomplished what you needed to do in that life...
    25. What is your motto?
    Just be yourself.

26. Why did you join WR?
    It was a way to get help, and help others if possible. Plus, I needed to translate things in a very informal way and dictionaries didn't help - I needed real people in their real country.
    How different a language can be just because it's spoken in a different part of the world.
    People is really friendly and they're eager to help each other. THANKS!!
    29. Chocolate or Nutella?
    Dark Chocolate -HANDS DOWN!- :D

Tetabiakti

Dutch
    OK, here goes:

The Netherlands

The Netherlands

1,77 m

Not! :D Casual chic, jeans, loafers

Stuffed chicken (my mother's recipe), quiche, pangsit (Indonesian dumplings), pasta dishes, blue corn totopos (tortilla chips) + homemade guacamole dip, chocolate brownies, vanilla-flavored ice cream with lots of nuts in it (preferably Häagen Dasz or Ben & Jerry's), jamón ibérico, any kind of fresh salad, grilled prawns, tasty cheeses like brie, camembert, stilton, cabrales, gruyere, leerdammer etc., crunchy whole-wheat bread, Dutch-style apple pie, sushi, falafel, lasagna............... and much much more.

Mariposa (Spanish for butterfly), because it sounds beautiful.

Nazi

Arizona's deserts and canyonlands, the sea
    Wild flowers

10. What turns you off?

Fundamentalism and other dogmas, discrimination of any kind, culturally sanctioned oppression of women, genocide denial
    People with a Gordon Gekko mindset
    Large crowds, cigarette smoke

Carlos Fuentes - The Buried Mirror
    George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia, 1984
    Kathleen Alcalá - Treasures in Heaven, The Flower in the Skull, Spirits of the Ordinary
    André Brink - An Instant in the Wind
    Gary Nabhan - Gathering the Desert, The Desert Smells Like Rain
    Edward Abbey - Desert Solitaire
    Carl Lumholz - Unknown Mexico
    T.C. Boyle - Tortilla Curtain
    E.O. Wilson - Sociobiology
    Gerald Durrell - My Family And Other Animals
    Anne Frank's diary
    Isabel Allende - Hija de la fortuna (Daughter of Fortune)
    Edward H. Spicer - The Yaquis: A Cultural History

George Orwell, André Brink, Isabel Allende

The French impressionists, Vincent Van Gogh, Frida Kahlo, Goya

The main characters in André Brink's novel 'An Instant in the Wind'

Some people I know personally who have overcome great hardships like illness and loss of loved ones
    Single parents who raise well-adjusted kids
    People who are self-taught
    People who don't care about social status, race, or lineage
    Simon Wiesenthal, Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, Rigoberta Menchú, the Dalai Lama

Martin Luther King, Chief Joseph (Nez Percé), Oscar Schindler

Travel writer

Spain (Tenerife or La Gomera), the US (Arizona)

Health, family + friends, living in a warm climate, travel, learning new things every day

A concentration camp, war, famine, homelessness, living in a mental institution

Honesty, sincerity, spontaneity, warmth, acceptance

Emotional intelligence

In my sleep

I'm an agnostic

25. What is your motto?

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you

26. Why did you join WR?

To improve my Spanish and my English

There is still so much left to learn! :)

The incredible amount of topics. This is a great place for vocab geeks!

Chocolate is not meant to be eaten on top of bread! ;)

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    You ask, so...

1. What is your country of birth? Finland
    2. What is your current country of residence? Finland most of the time.
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. Enough.
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. A little, here and there.
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Hyperfashionable. In fact I’m so extremely fashionable that people don’t even know yet that it’s fashion, and thus erroneously believe I’m unfashionable. But I bide my time.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? I like food. Let’s see, by category: fruit, veg, legumes, cereals, nuts, seeds; derivatives or combinations of these. Should cover all possibilities. :D
    7. What is your favorite word? Too many to list. Tranquility is one of them. Scarecrow another. And carballeira and…
    8. What is your least favorite word? Kroppkaka. (It’s some sort of Swedish boilt pastry. Don’t really know what it is, but I definitely don’t like the word). Genre. Stocking. Frock. Brag. Ascensor. (And so on…)
    Uhm… varies with the day, I guess. Sometimes, a cuppa mint tea is enough :)D). What am I supposed to answer? Finding open arms and hearts where least expected (or anywhere, really :)). Yoga in the sun. Swimming in the sea. And...
    10. What turns you off? Arrogance. Meanness. Spite. Power and violence. Insensitivity. Cynicism (especially the rather trendy sort of self-righteous cynicism). When people resort to calling anything that doesn’t happen to find their liking instances of “political correctness”, without any actual argument. Hiding spite or arrogance or lack of care behind a surface of political correctness.
    11. What are your favorite books? As a kid, the unhesitating answer is the Narnia’s, and Ronja Rövardotter. Now.. well, difficult to make a list, but well, for example: To the Lighthouse (Woolf), Crime and Punishment (Mr Dosto), The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Drömfakulteten (Stridsberg)… Though time puts quite strict limits on what I read, literaturewise, lately.

Don’t I get to list my least favourite ones?! :D

12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? No absolute favourites.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? I’m not even sufficiently fascinated by art (especially not painted art) as to have any favourite painters!

Come on, what about the films?! Or music? (Is that too trivial?! Hmm..)

14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Hmm, suppose I don’t really have, or ever had, any. Though as a kid, Ronja Rövardotter (one of Astrid Lindgren’s characters) was probably the closest to a “hero” that I had. I identify deeply with Don Quijote.
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? No heroes. There are people I deeply and humbly admire though.
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Huh? Am I supposed to have favourite characters in history?! Well, let’s see then… All those folks that lived the best they could, being as kind and helpful and loving and subversive as they could, but never made it to the history books. And with a high probability suffered under oppression of those who did get into those books.

I guess I’m just not a favourites-kind-of person.

17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Acting, photography, teaching (languages), fruit shop vendor, yoga instructor, gardener… for example.
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Many. Spain is one of them :eek:
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Getting up in the morning and feeling great about it. Hugs and smiles from dear friends.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Thinking “at least it can’t get any worse now” and being proven wrong. Being sad and all alone in that sadness.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? No doubt kindness.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? As a wannabe-capoeirista, a natural talent for cartwheels and somersault and such would come in handy :D
    23. How would you like to die? Silently, peacefully… (who wouldn’t?). And preferably before wasting away in some horrifying disease.
    24. If Heaven existed, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Well, they’d better say it was all true, that in the Bible about wolves and lions dwelling with lambs and calves while everyone munch on veg!
    25. What is your motto? I could probably subscribe to a bunch of them –like, “all it takes for evil to flourish for good people to do nothing” or “do onto others as you would wish them do onto you” or bladibladibla- just to realise in the next moment that there’s a risk of becoming obsessed with an idea or with words, and failing to see whatever else a situation may call for. I’d probably wish to be open to whatever different situations can be, become and show us. I'd rather no mottos, though.

Four bonus questions:

26. Why did you join WR? I don’t remember exactly. I had had a vague idea of the existence of the forum as I’ve used several of the dictionaries a lot for many years, I just never thought of joining, only occasionally read answers to some question or other linked to from the dictionary. And then somehow I end up here and… no longer was there a way out :D
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Uhmm… such a precious lot.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? That language freaks are the norm here :D. The nice people, of course.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? 86% dark chocolate, mint chocolate, dark choc with nuts... And banana almond sheet cake – the only thing I can actually bake successfully. And… (am I getting off-topic here?)

amnariel

Bosnia and Herzegovina - Croatian
    I'm wondering how on earth haven't I came across this thread before :D

1. What is your country of birth? Bosnia and Herzegovina
    2. What is your current country of residence? Bosnia and Herzegovina
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 1,67 m

5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Fun, lovely... ME :D
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Vegetables and fruits, then some pasta and cheeze, most kinds of cheeze
    7. What is your favorite word? Hmmmm... Stupenda

8. What is your least favorite word? All curses, especially in my language, baaaaaad, very bad!
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? People with sense for humor similar to mine and who are fulll of life, regardless to age, travelling!
    10. What turns you off? People who think that can fool me.
    11. What are your favorite books? I'll just go with Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien to cut the chase :D

12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Sue Townsend and J. R. R. Tolkien, I don't like poetry too much so I don't have favourite poet.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Tizian
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Legolas :eek:
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Jesus :D
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I'd like to be engaged in humanitarian work, not from the office though, but help concrete people in need.
    18. In what country other than your own would you like to live? Italy and Cuba
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Carpe diem!!
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Being victim of a war that you have nothing to do with (as it happens to the "little" people in every war).
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Everything they are and moments they dedicate to me.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? To be a little more empatyc.
    23. How would you like to die? I'd love it to be a surprise, as it is going to be anyways :D
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? We have some things to talk about kido...
    25. What is your motto? Smile all the way...

26. Why did you join WR? Because I'd like to expand my knowledge of English, I'd like to learn some Italian (and some more :D) and just hang out with people from all over the world who want to learn just like me!
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? If one doesn't dare to write/say something because one thinks she/he will embaress her/himself with mistakes, one will miss opportunity to learn how to write/say correctly, so.... Shy is out of question around here
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Everyone is giving their best to help each other and there's like 100 people online 24 hours a day!
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Neither, I'd rather have an peach :D

GEmatt

English/BE, Français/CH, Deutsch/CH (rustier & rustier)
    1. What is your country of birth? Jamaica.
    2. What is your current country of residence? Switzerland.
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 1m73.
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. Anywhere from nothing to six days' growth.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Mediterranean, Chinese.
    7. What is your favorite word? Aurora.
    8. What is your least favorite word? "Whatever..."
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Openness (people and spaces).
    10. What turns you off? The opposite.
    11. What are your favorite books? Science fiction, fantasy fiction. And cook books:).
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Gil Scott-Heron, Isaac Asimov, Raymond E. Feist, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis...
    13. Who are your favorite painters:D. My favourite musicians are F. Chopin, P. Tchaikovsky and F. Mendelssohn.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? A gourmet chef.
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Spain or Portugal.
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? A book, an espresso, a cigarette, and a sunny terrace to enjoy them on.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Indebtedness; absence of any at #19.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Trust, loyalty.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? There's enough there for a new thread!
    23. How would you like to die? In my own home, wide awake.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Here are your keys; and yes, we do have a bar."
    25. What is your motto? Live and learn.

26. Why did you join WR? To help out where I could, and to be part of forum with many amazingly knowledgeable people.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? To look before I leap (I'm still learning - I don't leap as far as I used to:D).
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? How helpful people are, not just with a fast and direct answer to a post, but also with shared resources, links, and the like.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D I'll pass on both, thanks.;)

CarolMamkny

Colombia-Spanish NY-English
    1. What is your country of birth? Colombia
    2. What is your current country of residence? USA
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 5.11
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) All of the above
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Italian and Cuban
    7. What is your favorite word? ¡Carajo!
    8. What is your least favorite word? NO
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Beatiful men, a good book, a good cup of coffee and children
    10. What turns you off? Lies
    11. What are your favorite books? 20 Poemas de amor y una canción deseperada, Se questo e' un uomo, Rabbit,run, Die Verwandlung
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Neruda, Benedetti, Dante, Kafka, Garcia Marquez (and so many more....)
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Caravaggio, Van Gogh, Picasso
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Peter Griffin
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Lennon, Garcia Marquez, Che Guevara and MY MOMMY
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Che Guevara, Alexander the Great
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Stockbroker
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? ITALIA!!
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Reading a good book while drinking a wonderful espresso in Villla Borghese
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Ignorance
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Sincerity
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Speak as many languages as possible
    23. How would you like to die? ummm... don't like to think about that
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome home... Let's party!
    25. What is your motto? Not exactly a motto but here it goes: They say the devil's water it ain't so sweet, You dont have to drink right now but you can dip your feet every once in a little while...:D

26. Why did you join WR? Needed LOTS of help translating a legal document
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? So many things....
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? YOU PEOPLE
    WOW!!... Nutella :p

calembourde

New Zealand, English
    :eek: What's this? It's like chat! It's like chain letters! But no, it's Superman on WordReference! :D

New Zealand
    Switzerland
    I don't know. I always used to be short. In metres.
    Not at all
    Sweet foods, chocolate, dairy products
    I have three favourite words: epizeuxis, epizeuxis, epizeuxis.
    Ugly though some of them are, I can't bring myself to dislike a word.
    Life.
    10. What turns you off?
    Waste, superficiality
    Gödel, Escher, Bach and Le ton beau de Marot by Douglas Hofstadter
    Kabalmysteriet (though I have only read the translations The Solitaire Mystery and Le Mystère de la Patience) by Jostein Gaarder
    Quarks, Leptons and the Big Bang by Jonathan Allday
    Everything by Douglas Adams
    In general, books about science, linguistics and comedy, and all kinds of dictionaries. I can't resist buying them. It's an addiction(ary.)
    Douglas Hofstadter, Douglas Adams, Jostein Gaarder, and all my writer-friends.
    I don't think I have any.
    I like all superheros. And Shima Katase.
    I could name some famous people I admire, but the thing I admire about them is that despite being generally incredible people (and famous for it) they always take the time to interact with the rest of us as normal human beings, and thus raise the self-esteem of the people they have any contact with by making them realise they are or can be just as heroic as the people they admire.
    I don't know really. I'm tempted to say Leonhard Euler but it could just be because it's his tercentenary.
    A full-time writer (either writing my own books/poetry or writing for a science magazine)
    Does 'my own' mean NZ or Switzerland? Apart from those, I'd say Canada.
    My life. But with less negative impact on Earth's happiness.
    Having more than most people and not realising it.
    Sincerity
    Being natively multilingual (I'm not greedy... just one language from each family would do, then I could have fun learning the others. :D)
    Finishing my life's work.
    Shhhh, no talking in the library.

no, that's not quite right...

:idea: You'll have a chance to talk at the buffet. :D
    25. What is your motto?
    Never let intellectual snobbery (or anything else) get in the way of a good laugh (or anything else.)

26. Why did you join WR?

Probably to learn French, I don't remember.
    French. :D Well, not all of it.
    The amazing variety of things I find out while trying to find a question that hasn't been answered yet.
    Chocolate, of course. There's more variety and it's not as messy to eat without filling up on bread.

flame

German-Austria
    1. What is your country of birth? Austria
    2. What is your current country of residence? Austria
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 174 cm
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. Full beard, thin tail back left

6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? everything except dill
    7. What is your favorite word? Flora, Paul

8. What is your least favorite word? Gutmensch
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? a good idea
    10. What turns you off? Mediocracy
    11. What are your favorite books? this time: A short history of nearly everything (Bryson), Fermats last theorem (Singh)

12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Francois Villon, John Lenon, and few more
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Hundertwasser
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Gandalf/Mithrandir (Lord of The Rings)
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Ellen McArthur (sailor)
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Ghandi
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? boat building, music instrument building
    18. In what country other than your own would you like to live? Sweden, Cyprus, St. Vincent
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Living a long live full of health, respecting nature and society
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? knowing you have failed and there's no chance to do it better next time
    21. What do you value most in your friends? they take me as I am and don't want to change me
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? the ability to breath water and/or to fly
    23. How would you like to die? without noticing it
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "you've done a good job" - but I don't believe
    25. What is your motto? There are two that inspire me very much; google for "if you want to build a ship" and "der seinen Hafen nicht kennt"

26. Why did you join WR? to add my 2 cents of contribution to the German forum
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? a lot about my own and other languages
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? it's the best moderated and most be-posted :)p)forum I know
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? chocolate AND Nutella

Lingvisten

Denmark
    1. Denmark
    2. Denmark
    3. 182 cm
    4. none
    5. -
    6. Øllebrød (porridge of beer and bread)
    7. "ingenlunde" (in no way)
    8. "agere" (to play a role)
    9. melancoly
    10. CBS (Copenhagen Business School)
    11. Astrid Lindgren: Emil i Lönneberga
    12. Dostojevskij
    13. John Bauer and Arthur Rackham
    14. Emil (i Lönneberga)
    15. Old fiddlers with beards, who smoke pipes.
    16. Queen Magrethe I of Denmark
    17. Farmer
    18 Russia, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Finland
    19. Coming to terms with the sadness.
    20. Yellow brick houses from the 60s and 70s.
    21. Forgivness
    22. Diligentness
    23. Sitting on a bench, in late summer, under an appletree.
    24. I forgive you!
    25. Beer is the root and the answer to all problems.

26. Stumbled upon it by accident, loved it, joined it!
    27. What have I not learned
    28. The amount of knowledge
    29. Definitly chocolate

Porteño

Member Emeritus
    British English
    1. What is your country of birth? England
    2. What is your current country of residence? Argentina
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 6ft.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Meat, fish, vegetables
    7. What is your favorite word? Love
    8. What is your least favorite word? Hate
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? A beautiful sunny day
    10. What turns you off? Rain and clouds
    11. What are your favorite books? Almost anything by Arthur C. Clarke, Frederick Forsyth, Robert Ludlum, Arthur Hailey and others of the same genre
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? I'm not much into poetry and the writers are mentioned above
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Dali, Constable, Canaletto and my wife
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? James Bond
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Winston Churchill, Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Richard I, Oliver Cromwell, Henry VIII, Sir Walter Raleigh and Lord Nelson
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Architecture
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Having lived in so many, I don't really have a preference
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Good health, a loving family and enough money to live comfortably
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Hunger and poverty with no foreseeable relief
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Trust
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Singing
    23. How would you like to die? Peacefully asleep in my own bed
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Congratulations, you just made it.
    25. What is your motto? Honesty is the best policy

26. Why did you join WR? I was looking for a word but I don't remember how I stumbled on WR
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? An incredible lot, even about my native language.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? The promptness and courtesy of those responding to questions, however fatuous they may sometimes be.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D Chocolate, definitely!

Great idea this! I'm looking forward to finding time to read all the replies.
    Last edited by GenJen54 : 2nd June 2006 at 06:06 PM.

uchi.m

Banned
    Brazil, Portuguese
    1. What is your country of birth? Brazil
    2. What is your current country of residence? Brazil
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 168 cm = 5 ft 6 in
    4. Men Only: Facial, hair adornments, if any. Glasses
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Multicolored (green, red, white, brown, yellow, black, orange)
    7. What is your favorite word? Subtle
    8. What is your least favorite word? Brot (German) -- I can't pronounce it!
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Taking a shower, riding a bike, fishing, praying
    10. What turns you off? You mean to turn off? Alcohol
    11. What are your favorite books? SAGAN, Carl. The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Writers: Carl Sagan, Bertrand Russell, Ilya Prigogine, Richard Feynmann; Poets: Fernando Pessoa, Carlos Drummond de Andrade
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Rembrandt
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Jesus Christ
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? My family
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? James Clerk Maxwell, Lord Kelvin, Thomas Edison
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Language instructor
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? In the Arctic Circle, Tibet, Siberia
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? To be surrounded by complacent, understanding people all the time
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? To be locked inside a small, confined place all alone
    21. What do you value most in your friends? To feel trusted by them
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? To be good at handcrafts
    23. How would you like to die? Not all alone, but who would dare to accompany me?
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Mi casa es su casa
    25. What is your motto? I don't have one

26. Why did you join WR? Because I like to discuss about languages.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? A lot about my own language.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? To get to know language experts.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D Coffee (is it an addiction, I wonder?)

Ferranrc

Mexico, Spanish
    1. What is your country of birth? Mexico
    2. What is your current country of residence? USA
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 183 cm = 6 ft
    4. Men Only: Facial, hair adornments, if any. Gray hair
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Fruits, Vegetables, Seafood
    7. What is your favorite word? Compassion
    8. What is your least favorite word? Impossible, I Can't.
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Taking a shower, good company, meditation, yoga, tai chi, church.
    10. What turns you off? Negative people
    11. What are your favorite books? The Little Prince, Dejame que te cuente, Caballo de Troya, Don Quijote de la Mancha, Proteo, The Monk that sold his Ferrari, The Alchemist, Juan Salvador Gaviota, Uno, The Divine Comedy, Three Magic Words.
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Jorge Bucay, Don Miguel Ruiz, Deepak Chopra, Brian Weiss, Miguel de Cervantes, Shakespeare, J. J. Benitez, Uell S. Andersen, La Fontaine, Esopo, Hans Christian Andersen, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Paulo Coelho, Robin S. Sharma, Richard Bach, Saramago, Quevedo, Pablo Neruda, Lord Byron, Juan Rulfo, Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Gustavo Aldolfo Becquer.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Rembrandt, Da Vinci, Monet, Boticelli, Van Gogh, Picasso, Siqueiros, Diego Rivera, Jose Clemente Orozco, Antonio Gaudi
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction?Fantomas, Kaliman
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Jesus Christ, My Parents and my sons.
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Jesus Christ, Buda, David, Sanson, Moises, Confucius, Thomas Alba Edison, Charles Babbage, Gauss, Pitagoras, Da Vinci, King Arthur, Albert Einstein.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Medicine
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live?Tibet, India, China or Japan.
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? To be surrounded by honest, understanding, and loving people all the time
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Low selfesteem, Stress, Depression
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Trust
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? I Would like to have the ability to motive and heal people.
    23. How would you like to die? Sleeping and not all alone
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome! You did a wonderful job while you were on earth.
    25. What is your motto? "Nunca digas no puedo, si acaso di no pude"

26. Why did you join WR? I needed a Dictionary.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? I have learned a lot and I have increased my vocabulary.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? To meet people that are language experts all around the world.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D Chocolate, of Course! Chocolate is navite from Mexico!!

ByteofKnowledge

UK-en
    England, UK
    USA
    6'5" or 1m96
    Depends what time of the week it is. Varies between 'none' and 'mountain man'
    Indian, Thai, Italian, Chinese... oh and Kas Spatzn
    Mittelschmerz
    Winningest or Addicting
    Wow... let me think about that one.
    10. What turns you off?
    Having to answer questions like #9? :)
    The Bible (KJV)
    See #11
    Whoever paints apartments any colour but eggshell or white
    Peter Gibbons, Michael Bolton (not the one who sucks) and Samir
    Nagheenanajar
    Jesus Christ
    Boudicca and Winston Churchill, two defenders of British soil
    Sports team CEO (association football or ice hockey)
    Ireland
    See #6
    Canned mushrooms on a pizza
    Honesty and Hilfsbereitschaft
    The ability to play music
    Hoping to avoid it, see #15. Birth has a 2-0 lead, would rather keep a clean sheet.
    Welcome home, son.
    25. What is your motto?
    Philippians 4:13

26. Why did you join WR?
    To exchange language knowledge with fellow polyglots.
    They have some odd initiation ceremonies.
    Haven't been here long enough yet.
    If real, made in the UK Cadbury's, chocolate. Otherwise Nutella.

cute angel

Arabic
    First of all I would like to say thanks for that nice thread ;also I'll say sorry If I'll misunderstund these questions and answer in a wrong way:rolleyes:

1. What is your country of birth?Algeria

2. What is your current country of residence?Algeria
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like.1.65cm
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…)honestly I don't care alot about fashion
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)?Milk,sweets,spagetty,our traditional foods like shakhshokha
    7. What is your favorite word?God
    8. What is your least favorite word? moon
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?poems;stories;films;and reading Quran
    10. What turns you off?sorry I didn't get the point here I think you mean what makes me give up if yes I can say the fear
    11. What are your favorite books? Literature books and stories like Oliver twist
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers?Shakespear and Mofdi zakaria an Algerian poet
    13. Who are your favorite painters?Maechal Angelo
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction?no one
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life?our Prophet Mohamed Blesss & peace be upon him
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history?Eamir ABD ELkader and charelemane
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?I want to atempt the career of a doctor
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live?Greek
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Is to live in peace with people who are your family and they care about you
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? living far away from God
    21. What do you value most in your friends?trust & honest
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? genuis intellegence:p
    23. How would you like to die? with a good ending I mean in a position where I'm doing something good
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?Yes heaven exists and I would like to hear The voice of my God saying to me you are a good girl
    25. What is your motto?Life is not always pink take it easy & let it be

26. Why did you join WR? By chance I was looking for answers than I found this nice forum
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? many many good things
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? I like English and Arabic sections
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D Chocolatte for sure

photodp

America, english
    Dear Foreros and Foreras,

In celebration of the Forum's 1,000,000th post,
    we (your mod team) thought it time we get to know each and everyone of you a little better. We've put together a list of questions you are welcome to answer as part of this thread - and of course, we answered them too (even Mike), so you can get to know us. This thread will only be open for a limited period of time,
    so please answer as soon as you can.

With nods to Marcel Proust, Bernard Pivot
    and noted philosopher Raphus Cucullatus, we present
    the WR "Twenty-Five Questions."
    :D

1. What is your country of birth? United States
    2. What is your current country of residence? United States
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 6'1 (ft/in)
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. I have a goatee type deal
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) (I dont see why this is women only. I'm a fashion photographer and have very good tatse)
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Real foods. From the major food groups. Not sweats.
    7. What is your favorite word? I don't really have one.
    8. What is your least favorite word? I don't really have one.
    10. What turns you off? simple repetitive annoying things...
    11. What are your favorite books? I don't really have any.
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? none
    13. Who are your favorite painters? none really
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? The leaders of the greatest empires, Alexander, the caesars... I'm a huge fan of ancient history.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Actor
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Italy, Scotland, Ireland, France
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? A good wife, a good kid or two, and a job to pay for it all.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Self pity
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Loyalty
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? well, I've always wanted to be able to sing.
    23. How would you like to die? old. at that point it wont matter.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Told ya..."
    25. What is your motto? I am the Ring Master.

26. Why did you join WR? To get help from real Italians to help me learn Italian.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? actually quite a lot in just a few days.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Getting responses from real people who know what they are talking about. It really makes teaching myself Italian much more fun.
    chocolate?

Linguaphile3000

[USA] English, 日本語
    USA
    USA (Texas)
    178cm
    n/a

Japanese, Thai, Mexican, Middle Eastern
    Molybdenum
    Hate
    Music
    10. What turns you off?
    Bad drivers
    Life of Pi, Harry Potter, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Orson Scott Card, Kim Stanley Robinson
    Dostoyevskiy, Murakami, Edgar Allen Poe, Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, Pablo Neruda
    Dali, Escher
    Funny ones
    Ones that make me laugh
    Winston Churchill, Mozart
    Skydiver
    18. In what country other than your own would you like to live?
    Iran
    Peace and fulfillment
    self-loathing
    trust and respect through and through
    persuasion
    Hiking a mountain range
    "The Universe is your playground!"
    25. What is your motto?
    "There is no reality beyond perception, and there is no perception beyond reality."

26. Why did you join WR?
    Because I love languages!
    That people like me are really out there and how glad I am that it is so!
    Sharing a similar passion.
    Nutella, all the way!

Missrapunzel

French (France)
    1. What is your country of birth? France (Oise)
    2. What is your current country of residence? France (Paris)
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 1,73 m
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Quite feminine. Not extravagant and definitely not funky.
    Lots of velvet and several pink clothes.

6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Favorite dish : scallops. And anything that is sweet : chocolate, cakes, pies, crème brûlée, tiramisu... More generally french food, mexican food, japanese food.
    7. What is your favorite word? *Uh, should I have one?*
    8. What is your least favorite word? colonel in english because I can't seem to pronounce it right and that makes me mad! :mad:
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Feeling helpful, or being admired for something I've done.... among many others.
    10. What turns you off? Feeling rejected (especially by people I care for)... among many others.
    11. What are your favorite books? Le petit prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Anna Gavalda, Guy de Maupassant
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Claude Monet, Vincent Van Gogh, Berthe Morisot. (Least favorite: Picasso)
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Tintin
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Coluche but I can't think of a living hero. George Michael is not a hero, is he? ;)
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? I hate history but maybe Lady Diana in recent history.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Full-time translator, investigator, or pharmacist.
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Easy question! Germany. :)
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Having nice people around me (friends, boyfriend, family, office colleagues), a good health, a home and reasonably enough money.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Not knowing what to do with one's life, not having a home or people one can turn to.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? their humor, their thoughtfulness, their reliability, their ability to listen and understand my concerns.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? I wish I had a better memory... and I could be an ambitious and hard-working person. ;)
    23. How would you like to die? I would like a sudden death when I'm still very healthy, ideally while I sleep.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome! You have a permanent access here. We wish there would be more people like you on Earth. The ones you care most for are already here or will join you here in the future.
    25. What is your motto?
    A. Carpe Diem.
    B. Be ready to be surprised.
    C. If everybody questioned themselves from time to time, the world would be a lot better.
    D. Tomorrow's another day.

26. Why did you join WR? To ask a question when the dictionary hadn't helped me.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? That diplomacy and politeness are true friends! And that no one enjoys being contradicted! :D
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? It's a give and take system. And I love it because speaking foreign languages is one of the things I enjoy most in life.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Chocolate.

hunternet

France - French
    2. What is your current country of residence? see question 1
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 185 cms
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. Depends on the mood and season.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? French and Italian. And cheese, definitely.
    7. What is your favorite word? Supercalifragili...don't remember the end.
    8. What is your least favorite word? See question above. This word is way too long.
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Music !
    10. What turns you off? The switchboard on the wall.
    11. What are your favorite books? Mystery novels and whodunits, The catcher in the rye, 1984, Captain Alatriste series
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? A. Perez-Reverte, J. Safran Foer, A. Christie, J.C. Rufin, A. Maalouf, M. Leblanc, T. Pratchett, R. Van Gulik
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Miro, Kandinsky, Matisse.
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Sherlock Holmes, Arsène Lupin, Captain Diego Alatriste, Hercule Poirot, Bernie Rhodenbarr, MD. Gregory House.
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Britney Spears. Showing off in so many magazines after such a decline, makes me think she's definitely a heroin.
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Martin Luther King, Guy Fawkes, Emile Zola (j'accuse !), Churchill.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Potato-slicer in a 6* hotel.
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Peru.
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? My girlfriend close to me. In addition to her, cheese from Auvergne, a glass of Santenay 1976 (red), and 70's rock music.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Probably my bank account.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Their clothes. And their honesty.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Universal knowledge.
    23. How would you like to die? The true question should be "would you like to die ?". I say I wouldn't. But if applicable, with my family around.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Don't apologize for being late, you have been late all your life..."
    25. What is your motto? "Why perform things tomorrow when you can perform them after tomorrow ?"

26. Why did you join WR? For nespresso...what else ?
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Words. Many of them.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? The sum of knowledge it provides.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Chocolate.

ewie

English English
    1. What is your country of birth? United Kingdom
    2. What is your current country of residence? United Kingdom
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 5'9"ish
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. Yes, always
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Anything fattening
    7. What is your favorite word? Plank (just at the moment)
    8. What is your least favorite word? Borborygm (just at the moment)
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Beauty
    10. What turns you off? Bad manners
    11. What are your favorite books? Wuthering Heights; El Amor en los tiempos del cólera; Invitation to a Beheading; Mapp and Lucia; a zillion others
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Nabokov, García Márquez, E.F.Benson, e.e.cummings ...
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Me, obviously :eek:
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? The narrator of Nabokov's Pale Fire; E.Brontë's Heathcliff
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? None
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? The loony ones ~ King Ludwig II of Bavaria comes to mind
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Adult
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Anywhere above the Arctic Circle
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Wow, that's a tricky one
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Being homeless
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Generosity:D
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Beauty
    23. How would you like to die? In peace, at home
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? It doesn't. End of story.
    25. What is your motto? Don't forget to breathe.

26. Why did you join WR? It was an accident, I came to it via the dictionary
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Ooh, all sorts
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Developing 'relationships' with total strangers on the other side of the planet, and knowing that one is helping
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D Neither

Last edited:

frida-nc

English USA
    1. What is your country of birth? USA/West
    2. What is your current country of residence? USA/South
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. N/A
    5. Women Only: How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Dress conservatively in a homey sort of way, but am not conservative
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Anything lemon or coffee-flavored; Indian cuisine; eclectic eater, love to cook
    7. What is your favorite word? chryselephantine (but just the word, don't demand the jewelry)
    8. What is your least favorite word? war
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? music, and nature
    10. What turns you off? selfishness; the disconnect between government policy and the public will
    11. What are your favorite books? Shakespeare's Tempest; Frank Norris' The Octopus, Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Durrell's My Family and Other Animals, Roald Dahl, The BFG (for children)
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Oh my. Chaucer, Shakespeare, Andrew Marvell; Gerald Durrell, J.R.R. Tolkien, Willa Cather, John Steinbeck, Robert Frost, . That's just in English! Many more, many more...
    Raphael, Botticelli, Velazquez, Chagall, Utrillo and the unknowns who grace my walls and are just as endearing.
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Probably my childhood heroines from Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, and such books
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Gandhi, Danilo Dolci
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Mary Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I of England (worthy antagonists)
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Composer
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Open to the world
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? A mixture of the many things I love: family, children, gardens, language learning, music, books, helping others, but at times quiet and peace as well
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? War, without question.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Serenity, openness, and a giving nature
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? A good memory
    23. How would you like to die? Quickly
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Here is Earth, but without war and misery"
    25. What is your motto? "Nothing, above all is comparable to the new life that a reflective person experiences when he observes a new country." (Goethe)

26. Why did you join WR? I liked what I read and it seemed an extension of my interests.
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? To stretch that extension further.
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Helpful, kind, wonderful people.
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D What's Nutella? No, really, sorry. Neither one... Lemon and coffee. Even together. Lemon espresso ice cream? Oh, my.

sniffrat

English, UK
    1. What is your country of birth? England
    2. What is your current country of residence? England
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 5'8"
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. Sometimes
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Indian (lots of good restaurants aroung here)
    7. What is your favorite word? Bollocks :warn:
    8. What is your least favorite word? Whom
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Penelope Cruz
    10. What turns you off? Politics
    11. What are your favorite books? Clockwork Orange, Papillon
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Poe, Huxley
    13. Who are your favorite painters? I have little appreciation for visual art, with some exceptions (see 9)
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? Ghandi, Bill Hicks
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Travel writer
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Australia, Argentina, Venezuela
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Friends, beer and live music
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Spanish reflexive/pronomial verbs
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Their impeccable taste in friends:rolleyes:
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? To be able to draw
    23. How would you like to die? Suddenly
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? See? - told you so!
    25. What is your motto?

26. Why did you join WR? Can't remember why - but I'm glad that I did!
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Un montón de español!
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Friendly, helpful, decent folks
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? I'll just have the cheese 'n' biscuits please, mate

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    1. What is your country of birth? Canada
    2. What is your current country of residence? Canada; soon to be New Caledonia
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 173 cm
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Italian
    7. What is your favorite word? Pixilated
    8. What is your least favorite word? Any racial slur
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Answering children's questions
    10. What turns you off? Mean people
    11. What are your favorite books? Brave New World, Childhood's End, The Stand, Green Eggs and Ham
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Robert Service
    13. Who are your favorite painters? The Group of Seven
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Stu Redman
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? People who do good anonymously
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Hamurabai
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Law enforcement
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? United States
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Seeing a child understand something new
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? The effects of a bully, individually and on an international scale
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Knowing that, no matter what, this person will not hurt me
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Charm
    23. How would you like to die? Painlessly
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Did you enjoy your sabatical?
    25. What is your motto? You're absolutely right... I don't know what I was thinking

26. Why did you join WR? I love helping the kids with their homework, there is always someone here with a question
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Opinions are not facts
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? I can come and go as I please (i.e: I can stay as long as I'm enjoying it and leave when I choose.)
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D I'm sorry, I only allow myself to answer 28 questions at a sitting. Please try again later.

SDLX Master

Spanish - Peru
    1. What is your country of birth? Peru
    2. What is your current country of residence? Peru
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 5'9"
    4. Men Only: Facial hair adornments, if any. Beard and moustache
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Seafood
    7. What is your favorite word? Damn
    8. What is your least favorite word? Money (when wife asks for it)
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Honesty
    10. What turns you off? Lies
    11. What are your favorite books? Paperbacks
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? No favs
    13. Who are your favorite painters? Rembrandt
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Ironman
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? None
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? Knights
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Pilot
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? U.S.A.
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Family and no financial rush
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Lies
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Truth
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Patience
    23. How would you like to die? In my sleep
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome!
    25. What is your motto? Dreams do come true if you want them bad enough.

26. Why did you join WR? I felt like helping out
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Lots
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? The great friends I made
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? Chocolate

There it is. ;)

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    1. What is your country of birth? Mühlviertel in Upper Austria, Austria.
    2. What is your current country of residence? Vienna, 11th district, Austria.
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 2 Ellen 9 Zoll (Viennese).
    4. Facial hair adornments, if any. They keep growing but are kept short for the sake of hygiene.
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? A kind of sour milk (an Upper Austrian speciality) eaten cold with hot potatoes. Well, okay, by category, so: MILK.
    7. What is your favorite word? Turtle.
    8. What is your least favorite word? Turtle soup.
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Regina Spektor.
    10. What turns you off? Ticks. And my boss.
    11. What are your favorite books? Nuruddin Farah, Maps; Günter Grass, Die Blechtrommel; Ivo Andrić, Die Brücke über die Drina; Oswaldo Franca, Jorge, der Brasilianer (Jorge, um Brasilheiro); China Miéville, Perdido Street Station (to name a few).
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? H C Artmann, Gabriel García Márquez, Flann O'Brien, John Irving and so on ... and then too more 'trivial' ones: Peter F Hamilton, Terry Pratchett, and more.
    13. Who are your favorite painters? I think Dante Alighieri did a pretty good job on the 'Sunflowers', or was it William Shakespeare? Anyway, both of them really were great painters!
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? Captain Future because he always was so smart and never ever had an affair with a woman which is an essential requirement for becoming a hero.
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? The Austrian National Football (Soccer) Team for managing to score a goal in the Euro 2008.
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? The Austrian National Football Team for beating Germany in Córdoba in the championships of Argentina, 1978.
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Linguist. And Historian.
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Scotland, out of the way in the highlands, besides a moor and with a little peak of my own, with the next neighbour living at least five miles away.
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? Being content with the little that you have.
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Being not content at all even though you own more money than you possibly could spend.
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Truthfulness. No, I want to correct that one: sense of humour.
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Charms (any charms really would be a huge improvement).
    23. How would you like to die? On Alpha-Centauri shaking the hand of an extra-terrestrial, or in other words: never.
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? To answer that one I shall try and find out if there is a God, but as I am basically agnostic this may take some time.
    25. What is your motto? Life is complicated, so don't even try.

26. Why did you join WR? Why would I not? Had I known of the existence of WR*) at the age of ten (and had I had access to internet, which wasn't invented then, yet) I would have joined immediately.
    *) Well, it didn't exist then. But if it had existed when I was ten ...

27. What have you learned since joining WR? Plenty. First and foremost that there's a limit of about 10.000*) characters to a single post.
    *) Sorry, can't remember any more the exact number.

28. What is your favorite thing about WR? The foreros. Well, most foreros. Weeell ... at least some foreros as quite naturally I don't know them all (yet).
    29. Chocolate or Nutella? :D Stracciatella

kittykate

Member Emeritus
    Italy - Italian
    2. What is your current country of residence? Italy
    3. What is your height in ft/in, centimeters or whatever standard of measure you like. 163 cm
    5. How fashionable are you? (Tailored, Fun, Funky , Lovely…) Not much of a fashion addict. I have my own personal style
    6. What are your favorite foods (by category)? Desserts, no contest
    7. What is your favorite word? Love & respect
    8. What is your least favorite word? War & hate
    9. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Nature: from a sunset to a flower, from wildlife to my cat. And the smiles of the people I love
    10. What turns you off? Violence, both physical and verbal
    L’amante senza fissa dimora (by Fruttero & Lucentini), Il nuovo che avanza (by Michele Serra), Le petit prince (by de Saint-Exupéry), just to name a few
    12. Who are your favorite poets and/or writers? Asimov, Philip K. Dick, Svevo, Pirandello, and many more
    13. Who are your favorite painters? The Impressionists, Man Ray
    14. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines of fiction? The invisible woman (Fantastic 4)
    15. Who are your favorite heroes or heroines in real life? My lifelong friend who is fighting cancer
    16. Who are your favorite characters in history? N/a
    17. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Billionaire (in euro)
    18 In what country other than your own would you like to live? Any, as long as I have a house on the beach, my loved ones & my pets with me
    19. What is your idea of earthly happiness? The people/pets I love are healthy and happy
    20. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Greed and disrespect
    21. What do you value most in your friends? Sincerity
    22. What natural gift would you most like to possess? Healing. Not quite “natural” but certainly useful
    23. How would you like to die? Without noticing
    24. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God (or deity of your choice) say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? You spread love
    25. What is your motto? Io ho quel che ho donato (You get what you give)

26. Why did you join WR? To improve my English
    27. What have you learned since joining WR? Many things about English and many others about people
    28. What is your favorite thing about WR? Loads of nice & helpful people from all over the world
    Nutella can do, if there is no DARK chocolate around!

caterina