questions like this are commonly known as...

• abb1025

USA
    English USA
    If you add the word "one" after this, you can see why: "questions like this one are commonly known as"

"These" can also be used, but it has a different meaning: "questions like these are commonly known as"

Number 1 means you have been talking about one question and you are saying there are others like that one.

Number 2 means you have been talking about several questions, and you are saying there are others like those.

You can also use this if you're talking not about the questions but about the way the questions are. Just like in Spanish, I think you can say "preguntas como estas" or "preguntas como esto."

If I am wrong about the Spanish, I hope someone will correct me.

blasita

Spain. Left four years ago
    You can also use this if you're talking not about the questions but about the way the questions are. Just like in Spanish, I think you can say "preguntas como estas" or "preguntas como esto."

If I am wrong about the Spanish, I hope someone will correct me.
    Hello Abb. I'm not so sure about "preguntas como esto"; I would never use 'esto' in this case; only 'estas'.

Hope this helps. Un saludo.

kayokid

English, USA
    Somehow the use of a plural (questions) and then a singular (this) sounds awkward to me. Personally, I would prefer:

A question like/such as this is known as...
    or
    Questions like/such as these are known as...

The other option is a paraphrase: This type of question is known as... or These types of questions are known as...

All that being said, I think that probably abb1025 knows the rules of the language better than I do based on his profession...

< Previous | Next >