Qui m'aime me suive

< Previous | Next >

Leader

English USA
I'm an American doing a translation from French and can'(t for the life of me remember how we'd say "Qui ù'aime me suit"! Pmease help.

Thanks

Leader

• archijacq

french France
    Philippe VI de Valois fut roi de France de 1328 à 1350. A peine intrônisé, il voit le Comte de Flandres, Louis Ier de Nevers, venir requérir l'aide de la France pour éteindre une révolte qui s'est déclarée sur ses terres. Philippe VI, qui était partisan d'accorder cette aide à Louis Ier, prend conseil auprès des barons du royaume qui lui conseillent d'attendre. Le connétable de France, Gautier de Chatillon, dit alors au Roi : "Qui a bon coeur trouve toujours bon temps pour la guerre". A quoi Philippe VI répond en lui tombant dans les bras : "Qui m'aime me suive".La guerre fut déclarée, les barons suivirent tous le Roi, et Philippe VI réussit à dompter dans le sang cette révolte.

If you love me, follow me

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I suppose you mean : qui m'aime me suit.
    Word by word: who likes me/loves me, follows me.

It sounds like a quotation but I could not find it as such so I cannot tell if there is any other way of giving it back in English.

Leader

English USA
    Thanks for all of your replies. I know what the expression means, I just can't find an equivalent in English. No one would say who ever loves me must follow me...I guess there is no equivalent..."Follow me if you will" sounds good, don't you think?

Aoyama

français Clodoaldien
    But then, you'll be dropping the "love" part ...
    It should be something like :
    if you truly love me, then follow me , show me that you love me by following me.
    Too long, but the "esprit" ...

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    The real equivalent is how the sentence in the story (archijacq quoted in n° 3) was translated - unless his suggestion is already that.

Leader

English USA
    Thanks but it doesn't fit in with the text...It's about fashion and following a certain trend....Love doesn't seem to fit...Maybe the French is a sort of mixed metaphor???

thanks,

L

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Don't forget we don't have the text that is in front of you.
    However, even if it was used badly, you are not obliged to correct the author of a text even if you are supposed to quote well known (hm, hm...) phrases in their proper translation...

Jeanbar

France
    Broff,

"Qui m'aime me suive" is short hand for "[Que celui] qui m'aime me suive". This phrase is not an order (like "qui m'aime me suit") but an invitation. The difference lies with the subjunctive.

Broff

French
    Broff,

"Qui m'aime me suive" is short hand for "[Que celui] qui m'aime me suive". This phrase is not an order (like "qui m'aime me suit") but an invitation. The difference lies with the subjunctive.

Jeanbar is absolutely correct and I agree with zsanna that you cannot correct the original but you need to adapt your translation to the context, since it is about fashion, maybe something catchy like:

Love me, Follow me....

< Previous | Next >