qui n'a rien d'une vache

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Raghavan, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Raghavan New Member

Chennai, India
    Tamil, India
    The full sentence is as follows. It comes in this blog post.

Now for the sentence:
    Malika Menard, une Normande qui n'a rien d'une vache, a été élue Miss France 2010.

I would like to translate this sentence into English and I find trouble with the expression, "qui n'a rien d'une vache". What is a vache doing here?

Can I translate this sentence as, "Malika Menard, the girl from Normandie, who is anything but a dumb blonde, blah, blah, blah?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
    Dondu N. Raghavan

2. Raghavan New Member

Chennai, India
    Tamil, India
    Instead of a dumb blonde, a dumb cow perhaps?

Regards,
    Dondu N. Raghavan

3. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Salut,

Je ne sais pas si "cow" peut convenir, mais à mon avis, il s'agit d'une allusion à cette Normande. :)

Peut-ête : who looks nothing like a cow?

4. Raghavan New Member

Chennai, India
    Tamil, India
    Thanks for the URL.

So in English if I just say cow, it may not be understood, perhaps. This would presuppose a knowledge about the French word play, as Normande refers to a woman from Normandie as well a breed of cow with the name Normande.

Better leave the allusion to cow? As such the idea of Miss France doing whispered interpreting is by itself exciting enough! :D

Regards,
    Dondu N. Ragahvan

5. Reliure

Reliure Senior Member

Yes, you got it !

Normandie is a very green land in the north west of France known for its fields, its cows, and its dairy products.

As every provincial french area (and so quite different from Paris), it is sometimes considered under a certain condecension, and as it is an agricultural region, people living there are suspected to be country bumpkin ! :)

A cow is not an animal a woman would find flattering to be compared with in terms of refinement.

So the author of the article pretends not to laught at the spoken girl, but reminds us that he could have.

6. Nz0 New Member

French
    Hi everyone,

I am the author of the original blog post. I was contacted by Raghavan to give some explanation about my sentence. I never meant to make fun about that young lady : I simply made an allusion to the fact that she's from Normandy, but looks nothing like a Normandy cow (Nicomon perfectly understood this).

But anyway, I'm gonna have to correct my blog post: it is not the new Miss France who wants to be interpret, but Miss Côte d'Azur, who came 6th.

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Laurent

7. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Thanks for shipping in NzO :)

I think adding Normandy before cow makes it crystal clear.

8. Raghavan New Member

Chennai, India
    Tamil, India
    Yes Nicomon. But even then the word play with just one word Normande in French cannot be repeated in English, I am afraid.

Anyhow thanks NzO for updating his information. But then even the Miss Côte d'Azur will make a nice whisper interpreter. :D

By the way, I have given a post in my blog on this aspect.

Regards,
    Dondu N. Ragahavn