quick off the mark

beri

France
Is this expression colloquial? If so, is there a nice more elevated one? It is for an internship report.

• Amityville

English UK
    It is a bit colloquial, yes. You could say 'able to respond rapidly', 'capable of rapid response'...still thinking.

river

U.S. English
    I am very resourceful and have the ability to work with little or no supervision.

timpeac

English (England)
    I don't see this expression very much as being as describing someone eg "he's very quick off the mark" as a general characteristic (= something like "he's on the ball" I suppose?). More often I see it on one occasion "he was very quick off the mark in getting his assignment in" or more often still impersonally "you've already read the book? Wow, that was quick off the mark!"

river

U.S. English
    He's sharp as a tack. He's quick on the uptake. He's quick off the mark. No?

Amityville

English UK
    Yes, but beri is asking for a non-colloquial expression for his internship report and he can't very well say "I am sharp as a tack" can he ?
    beri, the expressions I gave you are common cv-speak.

Kelly B

USA English
    Perhaps this is off the mark;), but I tend to think that you might be better off using active verbs and adverbs to demonstrate this skill, rather than trying to describe yourself.
    "After only 2 weeks of training, I was writing accurate translations, despite the abysmal quality of the original documents...." :rolleyes:
    or whatever it was that you did.

Gordonedi

UK (Scotland) English
    Amityville said:
    It is a bit colloquial, yes. You could say 'able to respond rapidly', 'capable of rapid response'...still thinking.
    I agree with these suggestions. The essence of a person being "quick off the mark" in formal documentation is their responsiveness to events or circumstances. :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I expect you are very much a self-starter, well-used to working with minimum supervision and prepared to rely on your own judgement.

To balance that, you are, of course commited to team working and have extensive experience of collaborating with others to achieve shared goals.

Such a well-balanced and multi-skilled person should impress anyone:cool:

Jonegy

UK - English
    How would "responsive" stand as a single word answer ?? of "Alert" - something along those lines.

Just a suggestion :)

beri

France
    hi guys, I can see you've been arguing
    actually, you've been getting far from my out-of-context request (my fault (oops)).
    I meant that I contacted several companies and X was the quickest off the mark in responding.
    You can now argue for fun, I have printed the bloody report! :)

timpeac

English (England)
    beri said:
    hi guys, I can see you've been arguing
    actually, you've been getting far from my out-of-context request (my fault (oops)).
    I meant that I contacted several companies and X was the quickest off the mark in responding.
    You can now argue for fun, I have printed the bloody report! :)
    Tee hee, I wasn't out of context - this is my usual understanding of this phrase and the one I gave above.... <<smug smiley>>

Kelly B

USA English
    beri said:
    out-of-context request
    :mad::rolleyes: I'm trying beri hard not to feel foolish, because it's really all your fault anyway.:p And, oh Timpeac of the smug smirk, I think Amityville did pretty well too, out there in the vapor.

< Previous | Next >