"... quid (for someone) to watch" in a text

Angeling

Turkish
I'm a freelance translator and I couldn't understand the meaning of the phrase below exactly; here, what does it mean to say fifty quid for him to watch? Or what does Studio 54 refer to? I would be grateful for your comments.

...Mindy does a pirouette in a black sequin dress. ‘Does this say Studio 54 – or “fifty quid for him to watch”?’
Before I can answer, Ivor butts in. ‘You could never look that cheap, Mind.’

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Welcome to the forum, Angeling!

"Does this say Studio 54 – or “fifty quid for him to watch”?’ = "Does this dress look fashionable, or does it make me look like a prostitute?"

Studio 54 was a night club in New York City.

Angeling

Turkish
    Thank you very much, Florentia52. I had read the explanation about Studio 52 on a website and now your reference confirms the meaning I get. If you don't mind I would like to ask about another relevant phrase that is connected the same conversation text; here, I need to translate it finding similar expression in Turkish, I get the positive meaning which is used to praise the dress but not exactly.:confused: Also, what it means "not on the face" ??

‘It says “a hundred pounds for him to watch, plus dry cleaning, and not on the face”.’

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Feel free to start a new thread with your new question, Angeling. We're happy to help you with it, but we need to keep the discussions separate.:)

< Previous | Next >