quiero, quisiera - Ordering in restaurants

< Previous | Next >

lramalk

English - England
When in bars/restaurants I always say 'quiero' or 'quisiera' when ordering but the Spanish customers never seem to use these words. Am I being too formal (or just too English?). Any advice please?

• fenixpollo

American English
    I rarely hear the conditional form of querer (querría) used in a restaurant context.

I usually hear conditional phrases like me podría traer. If you think "quiero" is too impolite or blunt, then you could say me puede traer...

PACOALADROQUE

ESPAÑOL (CARTAGENA-ESPAÑA)
    He contestado en sentido general. En una tienda la persona que te atiende, cuando entras, lo normal es que te pregunte ¿qué desea? y la contestación normal es "quería" o "querría" tal cosa.

En un restaurante lo normal es que te pongan la carta y te pregunten ¿qué desea/an tomar mientras decide/en?. Pasado un tiempo el camarero se acercará y preguntará ¿Ha/an decidido ya? Respuesta, sí : Yo voy a tomar/Póngame/ Querría...

Saludos

ZiggyPlayedG

Mexican Spanish
    Agree with fenixpollo. Querer (or any of its forms) by itself sounds way too formal in this context. "Me puede(s) traer/Me podrias traer/Me traes [...] por favor?" is closer to the way we speak in every day conversation.

Dale123456

English
    Can anybody explain why " quisiera " is used in place of "querría",,,,

It is the imperfect subjunctive, and seems odd to use it for something that I would like in the immediate future :)

Chris K

English / US
    Can anybody explain why " quisiera " is used in place of "querría",,,,

It is the imperfect subjunctive, and seems odd to use it for something that I would like in the immediate future :)
    There are probably complicated historical reasons, but the short answer is that it's just become customary, the same way we have come to use "could" (which is by origin a past tense form) in "could I have a glass of water, please?"

< Previous | Next >