quieten or quiet?

< Previous | Next >

mjudla

Serbian - Serbia
Hello, I would like to ask which sentence of these two sounds right. It's supposed to be American English.

Betelguese was playing somewhere, quieted by the sound of the pouring rain.
Betelguese was playing somewhere, quietened by the sound of the pouring rain.

...or there is some third option?
Thank you!

• Copyright

American English
    Quieten is mainly British English in my experience, so my instinct is to say "quieted," but that doesn't sound quite right in your sentence.

Is it your sentence? The first word that comes to mind is muffled, but that sounds a bit cotton-wooly.

mjudla

Serbian - Serbia
    Yes, it's my sentence, and I agree it sounds weird, but I'm not sure what other word I could use instead. I've looked through synonyms but I still don't know. I wrote muffled at first, but I wasn't sure if it means "made quiet, but still can be heard" so I changed it (and haha, it really does sound cotton-wooly, to be honest).

pob14

American English
    "Obscured," perhaps, although that's used more often for seeing than hearing. "Quieted" sounds like the rain actually made the sound of the music softer, which isn't really true.

I would suggest "drowned out," but that implies that the music can't be heard at all, and I don't think that's what you're saying (plus it may be too much of a pun when used with rain). I think maybe "muffled" is better than either of mine.

Copyright

American English
    How about "softened"? That sounds soft and sultry in a summer shower. :)

Betelguese was playing somewhere, its sound softened by the pouring rain.

< Previous | Next >