quilt tall high

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello:

On the bed, I stacked five quilts one on top of another. I told my daughter: "If you want to make these quilts taller, you can put another quilt on the top, if you want to make these quilts shorter, you can take one quilt off from the top. "

Can I use "make these quilts shorter/taller" ? The problem is the quilt is fat(has a large area), "tall" and "short" are usually used to describe something that is thin. But these quilts are put on the bed instead of the floor, "high" and "low" are not suitable here according to this thread.

I think the bold words are fine here, am I correct?

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The words you want are "thicker" and "thinner"

"If you want to make these quilts thicker, you can put another quilt on the top, if you want to make these quilts thinner, you can take one quilt off from the top. "

You are suggesting that your daughter adjust the thickness of the [pile of] quilts.

Wordnip

British English
    If you are referring to the stack of quilts then you can say, "if you want to make this stack (or pile) of quilts taller (or shorter), you can ..." This makes it clear that it is the stack or pile which is being referred to and it doesn't matter if it is composed of only a few items.

moustic

British English
    As Wordnip points out, it is the size of the stack that you wish to change and not the size of an individual quilt.
    Personally, when referring to a pile or a stack of something I would use the adjectives "big" or "small" (or even "high / low" depending on the size of the pile).

"If you want to make this pile of quilts bigger/taller/higher, you can put another quilt on the top, if you want to make it smaller/shorter/lower, you can take one quilt off from the top. "

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As Wordnip points out, it is the size of the stack that you wish to change and not the size of an individual quilt.
    Nobody is talking about the thickness of an individual quilt: the context makes this clear.

Copyright

American English
    Nobody is talking about the thickness of an individual quilt: the context makes this clear.
    As soon as I hear "If you want to make these quilts thicker ..." I think of the thickness of each quilt.

The solution for me would probably be this: If you want to make this stack of quilts higher/shorter ...

dharasty

American English
    The intent of the question of the OP is unclear.

If you are placing FOLDED quilts in a stack, I'd use "taller" and "shorter", and modify the sentence to ""If you want to make this stack of quilts taller..."

If you are covering the bed with UNFOLDED quilts, I'd use "thicker" and "thinner". I'd consider modifying the sentence to "If you want to make this layer of quilts thicker..."

Either way, that helps clarify that you are not making any individual quilt thicker/thinner/taller/shorter. Rather, it is then clear that you are modifying the "stack" or the "layer" of quilts.

< Previous | Next >