Quirt - a type of livestock whip

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Hogwaump, Oct 18, 2011.

  1. Hogwaump Senior Member

    English - USA
    A Quirt is a short braided whip of soft leather, about 18 inches long, with a stinger tip of thin rawhide attached to the tip, about ten inches long. I'm told the vaqueros use such a thing. Does anyone know what it is called in Spanish?
  2. Mate

    Mate Senior Member

    Castellano - Argentina
  3. Hogwaump Senior Member

    English - USA
    Thank you, Mate - those two images are definitely a kind of quirts, and after doing some research I'm thinking that the one I'm translating -- missing the wooden handle -- is a variation rather than the norm.

    SpanishDict equates "arreador" with "arriero", English "muleteer", as in one who drives mules. I I'm going to call the quirt "un rebenque de tipo arreador" until somebody out there offers me a better option.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  4. frida-nc

    frida-nc Moduladora

    North Carolina
    English USA
    According to some pages, the word is actually derived from a Spanish word - a cuarta (riding crop). Other pages say it comes from cuerda.

    This word cuarta now seems to be regional in use, per the DRAE, and not very common.

    cuarta 37. f. Cuba y P. Rico. disciplina (‖ instrumento para azotar). 38. f. Méx. Látigo corto para las caballerías.

    I think your option is fine, but this may throw some further light on the origin.

Share This Page