Quisiera no tener memoria o convertirme en el piadoso polvo

themdena

mexican spanish
Me encuentro algo atorada en una pequeña traducción.

"Hay días como hoy en los que recordarme me da pena. Quisiera no tener memoria o convertirme en el piadoso polvo para escapar a la condena de mirarme"

There are days like today in which reminding myself makes me feel sorry.
I wish I have no memory or turn into the pious dust to escape from the condemn of looking at myself

I wish I have no memory or become the pious dust to escape from the condemn of looking at myself

no estoy segura en si que tan correcto este esto

• donbill

English - American

"Hay días como hoy en los que recordarme me da pena. Quisiera no tener memoria o convertirme en el piadoso polvo para escapar a la condena de mirarme"

There are days like today when [being aware of myself, reminding myself that I exist] makes me sad. (Es difícil traducir recordarme literalmente en este contexto, creo yo.)

I wish I have no memory or turn into the pious dust to escape from the condemn of looking at myself
    I wish I have no memory or become the pious dust to escape from the condemn of looking at myself

I wish I could not remember or that I could turn into merciful dust [in order to] to escape the sentence [condemnation] of contemplating [looking at] myself.

Todo esto es problemático. 'Recordarme' no es fácil de traducir en el contexto, y 'memory' en inglés puede ser 'recuerdo' o 'memoria' en español según el contexto en que se encuentre.

¡Suerte!

FromPA

USA English

It's difficult to translate without knowing the context, but here's my try:
    "There are days like today when remembering causes me pain. I want to have no memory or to turn myself to dust (or cease to exist?) to escape the sentence of having to look at myself. "

I think "piadosa" would be better translated as "merciful" or "compassionate," but I think it sounds better to omit it.

Last edited:

roanheads

Scotland, english
    Todo esto es problemático. 'Recordarme' no es fácil de traducir en el contexto, y 'memory' en inglés puede ser 'recuerdo' o 'memoria' en español según el contexto en que se encuentre.

¡Suerte!
    Hi don,
    I think that the context " en los que recordarme " implies " to remember myself "or " remember my actions ". If the context read " a los que recordarme", then the verb " remind " would fit.
    Sounds like the person is ashamed of his behaviour, remembering his past,which is sorrowfull to him/her.
    Therefore,
    There are days like today which hurt me to remember etc. ( I think " the merciful dust " is worth including because it offers peace to a tortured soul.)

¿Qué te parece ?

donbill

English - American
    Hi don,
    I think that the context " en los que recordarme " implies " to remember myself "or " remember my actions ". If the context read " a los que recordarme", then the verb " remind " would fit.
    Sounds like the person is ashamed of his behaviour, remembering his past,which is sorrowfull to him/her.
    Therefore,
    There are days like today which hurt me to remember etc. ( I think " the merciful dust " is worth including because it offers peace to a tortured soul.)

¿Qué te parece ?
    ¡Hola distinguido forero!

Sounds reasonable to me! I suppose I was lapsing into psycho-babble when I translated 'recordarme' as 'being aware of myself':eek:.

Nevertheless, I have always thought that 'me da pena' is better translated as 'it makes me sad' than as 'it's painful or hurtful'. I confess, however, that such preference is totally idiosyncratic, and I realize that pain can be both physical and emotional. I think that we angloparlantes--and this is not directed at you, distinguido forero, but to all of us anglos--tend to see 'pena' and think first of 'pain', not sadness, as its equivalent. It certainly looks like a direct cognate. (I just checked the definition in M Molner (abridged). The first one is: 'Tristeza circunstancial producida por un suceso como la muerte de un ser querido, un desengaño o una ingratitud.")

You ask a simple question, and you get a convoluted answer. I apologize. Always good to hear from you! (My son and I were just talking about the last time we climbed Ben Nevis.)

Saludos

roanheads

Scotland, english
    don,
    With such volubility you leave Obama standing, therefore it must be " don" for President!!!!
    But referring to " pena " I was recently thanked by Spanish friends for " compartir la pena".

Thinking of physical pain to me triggers " dolor o dolores " while " pena " implies " psychological distress, but as you say, pain can be physical as well as emotional,although in this case I go for " pena " emotional.

Always a pleasure " don ", be careful on the " Ben ",

Un cordial saludo. :)

roanheads

Scotland, english
    themdena,
    Para volver al tema, estoy de acuerdo con FromPa #3 , pero me gustaría incluir " merciful "---" the merciful dust"---convertirme en el piadoso polvo me ayuda a escaparme del pasado , por eso convertirme en este polvo me es como una bendiciíón.En inglés---it is a merciful dust.

Espero que esto te ayude.

Saludos.

FromPA

USA English
    themdena,
    Para volver al tema, estoy de acuerdo con FromPa #3 , pero me gustaría incluir " merciful "---" the merciful dust"---convertirme en el piadoso polvo me ayuda a escaparme del pasado , por eso convertirme en este polvo me es como una bendiciíón.En inglés---it is a merciful dust.

Espero que esto te ayude.

Saludos.
    It just makes the sentence sound so dramatic. Alas! I suppose that's how the author intended it to be.

< Previous | Next >