quit vs evacuate

Nunty

Modified
Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
I am summarizing a binding agreement between a protected ("key money") tenant and a property owner. The owner is paying the tenant a sum of money, in return for which the property reverts to the owner and the tenant relinquishes all rights and claims to the property. The original is in Hebrew and my summary is in English.

There is a word that can be translated as both quit and evacuate (among others). In the following sentence, which is better? Does either have special meaning in this context?

The parties agree that upon fulfillment of the terms of this Agreement, the aforementioned payment, and quitting/evacuation of the premises by the tenant with return of occupancy to the owner on the agreed date, all mutual claims of the parties are fully, completely and finally canceled.

I know this is a gruesome sentence. :( Please try to overlook that, though, for the moment. What is the difference between quitting and evacuation?

Thank you!

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    His NT. In Canada, I'm used to the term "quit claim" as in the tenant quit claims possession and rights. I've never heard "evacuation" used in this context before, probably because "quit claiming" means giving up all claims whereas "evacuation" sounds like simply giving up possession.

Starfrown

English - US
    I would suggest some changes if you wish to use "quitting."

The parties agree that upon fulfillment of the terms of this Agreement, payment of the aforementioned fee/fine??, and the tenant's quitting the premises with return of occupancy to the owner on the agreed date...

Now then...

I much prefer "quit" to "evacuate" here. To me, the latter is strongly suggestive of a disaster or emergency of some sort, natural or otherwise. Also, the former definitely seems at home in a legal document; that particular sense of "quit" is almost always seen in more formal material these days (as I'm sure you know).

By the way, the wording doesn't really seem much worse than that found in most legal documents I've come across.:)

Last edited:

Nunty

Modified
    Thanks for your help, Dimcl and Starfrown. I'll use quit or quit claim (have to look that one up).
    :)

Nunty

Modified
    Ah, vacate! Another great word. There's another paragraph that talks about the premises being [same word] of people and things; I think I can use vacate there. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >