quite a bit of day to get through

QuangHai

Viet
In novel Martin Dressler by Steven Millhauser, the author wrote on narrator's wedding day

"It was three o’clock in the afternoon, and it occurred to Martin, leaning his head back in the soothing carnage, that there was quite a bit of day to get through. He had instructed the driver to take a few turns around the Park and then go up and down the great avenues. Then a light supper and a return to the Bellingham, where their five newly furnished rooms awaited them."

Please could someone explain what is meaning of underlined words. Thanks

Last edited:
  • Greyfriar

Here it means that the time seemed to be going rather slowly, the day seemed long and Martin was having problems finding things to do to pass the time. It's difficult to know whether Martin was dreading joining his bride in their rooms or looking forward to it.:rolleyes:

Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    I haven't read the text but usually "having to get through" something means "having to endure it" i.e. it is something one has to do although it may be onerous. So perhaps there are to be more celebrations in the evening - quite a bit of day being from now i.e.3 o'clock - which they had to "put up with" until the time when they could leave / be on their own.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I would expect to read: "... it occurred to Martin, [...], that there was quite a bit of the day to get through." but, essentially, both are the same: there was quite a bit of day to get through = there was a lot of of that day remaining that would require his attention and presence before he could relax.

To get through something = to spend time whilst subject to something; to survive (usually in a figurative manner) something; to experience (usually successfully) something.

< Previous | Next >