quite a bit of something

Mulham

Arabic
Hello everyone.
what is the meaning of 'quite a bit' here? Does it refer to a huge amount or a little amount?
Suppose that I use a countable noun instead of the word' planning', should I use 'quite a few', which means the two expressions(quite a bit, quite a few ) mean the same?
Thank you

-They had quite a bit of assistance in planning the project

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Those are common as well, and they don’t mean the same thing as “quite a bit” or as each other.

Mulham

Arabic
    Those are common as well, and they don’t mean the same thing as “quite a bit” or as each other.
    I think they hold more emphasis on quantity than quite a bit does!
    if they don't mean the same. I would think too much holds more negativity towards an ongoing problem. Am I right?

Hermione Golightly

British English
    "Quite a bit of ... " means "quite a lot of ..." in BrE too. It means 'almost a lot of'.

Do you guys use( so much) or ( too much) more often?
    Would you please provide some sentences using 'so much' or 'too much'? They have nothing to do with "quite a lot of ... ". I suggest you start a new thread about these terms.

Mulham

Arabic
    "Quite a bit of ... " means "quite a lot of ..." in BrE too. It means 'almost a lot of'.

Would you please provide some sentences using 'so much' or 'too much'? They have nothing to do with "quite a lot of ... ". I suggest you start a new thread about these terms.
    Thank you so much. I sure will. But in a way or other, I feel that all of them are in the same category. Quite a lot of rings a bell of so much to me!

taceev

Turkish
    I think in some appropriate contexts, "quite a bit of" is used with countable nouns for example:

It's a bit of a nuisance.

We have a bit of a medical situation.

Mulham

Arabic
    I think in some appropriate contexts, "quite a bit of" is used with countable nouns for example:

It's a bit of a nuisance.

We have a bit of a medical situation.
    I think we use quite a few with countable nouns!
    and we use a bit of with uncountable nouns, maybe except for phrases like a bit of problem.

Thank you so much.

< Previous | Next >