quiza fuera/ retrase

< Previous | Next >

flyingcat2008

china,chino
Hi, everyone!!

I know when quizá express past event, it should follow subjunctive mood, but there are two kind of subjunctive mood, and I don't know which to choose~~~

see:
No.1Quizá don Juan Manuel fuera el primer prosista español que se declaró responsable de sus propias obras.

No2.Quizá se retrase por algún motivo

They all refers to past things, so why the first one use" fuera?

help~~~

Muchas gracias

• Bilbo Baggins

American English
    Hi, everyone!!

I know when quizá expresses past events, it the subjunctive mood should follow subjunctive mood, but there are two kinds of subjunctive mood, and I don't know which to choose~~~

see:
    No.1Quizá don Juan Manuel fuera el primer prosista español que se declaró responsable de sus propias obras.

No2.Quizá se retrase por algún motivo

They all refers to past things, so why does the first one use" fuera?

help~~~

Muchas gracias
    Hey,
    Quiza, and words/phrases like it, can refer to any tense. When referring to the future, the subjunctive is pretty much obligatory, however, when referring to present or past, use of the subjunctive suggests uncertainty. Here, the author is expressing some doubt and so chooses to use the subjunctive. The sentence is in the past and so the past subjunctive is used. The -ra and -se forms are identical here and are interchangeable. Fuera is the past subjunctive (-ra form) of Ser.

glasgy

Spain
    In both sentences, you use the subjunctive mood. The first one is the past tense since you are referring to a past event. In the second one, you want to express some doubt or uncertainty, but you are referring to a fact in the present. An equivalent for that sentence is: Puede que se retrase o es probable que se retrase.

< Previous | Next >