Quorum or ...

< Previous | Next >

Akhlaqi

Persian
Hi.

"Quorum"

If I am not mistaken, It is a formal and technical term. but is there any (formal/ informal) synonyms for that?

Can " quorum " be used in classroom situations?

for instance: We didn't have a quorum yesterday so the teacher dismissed the class. (having number of students necessary to conduct a class)

If not, what do you suggest?

Regards

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It sounds very strange to me. It implies that your class has rules that require a quorum to be present in order for class to be held, which I doubt is the case.

I would probably say something like "So few students showed up yesterday that the teacher dismissed the class."

Akhlaqi

Persian
    Thank you for answering my question.

Now, if, Educational System has a rule that at least 18 students must be enrolled in order for class to be held to conserve resources.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Could you clarify your question?

Is "Educational System" the name of a school system or government agency? And what does "to conserve resources" have to do with the issue of whether "quorum" could be used to describe the situation (if that is your question)? Why have you singled out "to conserve resources" for attention here?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Now, if, Educational System has a rule that at least 18 students must be enrolled in order for class to be held to conserve resources.
    You still can't use "quorum" which means the minimum number of members present at a meeting in order to vote and to render the proceedings valid.
    You'd have to say something like "minimum class size" (in this case, 18).

Akhlaqi

Persian
    In Educational System of my country, conserving resources ( for the sake of budget) is important . Each University tries not to waste budget of its own on a class of , say, 8 students. Tuitions fee that a university gets must be enough to hire teachers, allocate classrooms,... They must be at least 18 students to gather enough tuition fee to hold a class, otherwise it will be canceled or postponed until the number of students enrolled increases to that specific level.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    They must be at least 18 students to gather enough tuition fee to hold a class, otherwise it will be canceled or postponed until the number of students enrolled increases to that specific level.
    Yes, you could say something like "There is a minimum enrolment level of 18 students in order to make the class viable"

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In Educational System of my country, conserving resources ( for the sake of budget) is important . Each University tries not to waste budget of its own on a class of , say, 8 students. Tuitions fee that a university gets must be enough to hire teachers, allocate classrooms,... They must be at least 18 students to gather enough tuition fee to hold a class, otherwise it will be canceled or postponed until the number of students enrolled increases to that specific level.
    Yes, I understand why conserving resources is important. What I am trying to ask (see post #4) is the following:

Is "Educational System" a translation of the actual title of your country's education ministry or department? If not, the two words should not be capitalized. And in either case, the definite article is required: "In the educational system of my country..."

And, again, does the issue of conserving resources have something to do with your question about the word "quorum?" If not, why have you emphasized it in your post?

< Previous | Next >