rácano en deportes

uzapuca

Argentine Spanish
Hola:
Generalmente escucho la palabra "rácano" por periodistas deportivos españoles que se refiere a un estilo de juego con poca ambición (como Italia en fútbol) y estoy buscando una definición en inglés, pero no me gusta lo que encuentro. No es sinónimo de "lazy" (vago) o "tightfisted" (avaro) como lo que aparece en la traducción.
¿Alguna palabra para este significado?

ENGLISH
Hello

Usually I hear the word "slacker" (Rácano) by Spanish sports journalists referred to a style of play with little ambition (as Italy Soccer) and I am looking for a definition in English, but I do not like what I find. It is not synonymous with "lazy" (vago) or "tightfisted" (greedy) and I find it.

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • uzapuca

Argentine Spanish
    Defensively minded? Unambitious?
    Thanks for the fast reply. "Unambitous" sounds good, but "rácano" might be a bit more than that. Maybe a philosophy of the game of doing the least amount of effort possible. Besides of hidding the ball, not letting the other team play, just like Italy plays Football compared to Brazil which a more expansive style of play.

uzapuca

Argentine Spanish
    Thanks for the good info, buddingtranslator. Negative play sounds good too. I just wonder if there good be a single word for negative plays as well. Cheers.

Mitcho999

English-United States
    ¡Hola!
    If "rácano" refers to not letting others get the ball (individualista), the word in the United States is a "ball hog".
    If it's talking about someone who is lazy (and this doesn't have to just apply to sports), your single word answer is a "slacker". Someone who does a job "a medias" is known to slack off. Hay más frases hechas para este fenómeno, pero éstas son las que se me ocurrieron.
    ¡Saludos!

jasminasul

Spanish Andalusia
    I´m not the right person to give my opinion :D but maybe you could say "playkillers".

uzapuca

Argentine Spanish
    Hi guys, thanks for the good info! "rácano" in Sports as is most widely used only in Spain (not necessary in other Spanish speaking Latin American countries as far as i know) would be a team that even tough has good players in his team refuse to engage in an open game highly competitive game and will play on very defensive terms.

If you know about Soccer/Football international teams style of play, you might know that Germany despite loosing they will always attack and go forward. The opposite is Italy that no matter the score will always plays a very tight and defensive game widely known as "catennaccio" the lock. A very boring and unambitious style of playing.

The term "playkillers" even i don't know if the right one for English speaking people does sound good.

< Previous | Next >