résignent à l'abjection hideuse de leur sexe

Avi

Israel - Hebrew
The female protagonist is discussing the vagina as is portrayed by erotic novelists :

"Même les ècrivains rejoignaient sur ce sujet le peloton immonde dont le seul but semblait être que les femelles se rèsignent à l'abjection hideuse de leur sexe."

:(:confused:

• Moon Palace

French
    ... whose goal seemed to be that women resign themselves to the horrendous repulsion of their sex'

The idea is that they wanted women themselves to admit that their sex was nothing but horrendously repulsive. It is a well-known fact that women are but sinners... They can't be endowed with anything that would not be ugly...:rolleyes::eek:

BexTrad

English UK
    I would understand that as meaning that women readily accept the revultion of the vagina as represented in literature, and the way in which we are therefore almost conditioned by society to be disgusted by ourselves...

Moon Palace

French
    I would understand that as meaning that women readily accept the revultion of the vagina as represented in literature, and the way in which we are therefore almost conditioned by society to be disgusted by ourselves...
    I am sorry but I beg to differ about 'readily accept': 'se résigne' clearly means they are led to believe so. Of course it will result in the impression that they willingly consider their sex as repulsive, but this is a very subtle process that was used to convince women without making it too obvious.
    But I agree on the outcome: we are indeed brainwashed into thinking we are disgusting. Maybe I should have used a simple past in this sentence. Hopefully so. ;)

BexTrad

English UK
    I meant that they readily accept it because they are conditioned to do so and not that they do so out of choice.

Shame the simple past didn't come naturally, huh? ah well, fingers crossed for the future! :)

< Previous | Next >