Race across the Andes

bbcjraj

USA - English
I want to create a game for my students to encourage them to study more. I want to call it something like Race Across The Andes - which would be the better translation?
- Carrera sobre de los Andes
- Carrera por los Andes

Thanks

• Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    Not sure what you mean by "across" here. The Andes are several thousand miles long and in many parts can be hundreds of miles wide. Do you mean crossing the Andes"widewise" (for example, from Chile to Argentina), racing along them, or something else?

nachoq22

Español
    I think that the exactly title you are looking for is "Carrera a través de los Andes". "A través de" is the best translation to "across" in this context

Last edited:

Alisterio

UK English
    Not sure what you mean by "across" here. The Andes are several thousand miles long and in many parts can be hundreds of miles wide. Do you mean crossing the Andes"widewise" (for example, from Chile to Argentina), racing along them, or something else?
    I can't speak for bbcjraj, but I would interpret "across" in this context to mean "from one side to the other" (as in, from Mendoza to Santiago), not along from north to south. I would second Carrera a través de los Andes, or suggest Carrera para cruzar los Andes maybe.

nachoq22

Español
    "través"... And I have my doubts, see my previous message.
    Lo leí y sigo pensando igual, creo que no importa de que lugar a que lugar se este refiriendo, siempre y cuando se mueva sobre Los Andes, como dijo Alisterio "de un lugar a otro" seria "a través"

Oldy Nuts

Spanish - Chile
    I don't agree. The DRAE says, under "a través de", "pasando de un lado a otro de". I wouldn't call a trip from Tierra del Fuego to Ecuador to go "a través de" los Andes. Perhaps "por" o "sobre", as bbcjraj suggests. That would encourage their students to study more than a simple crossing from Mendoza to Santiago. Which is the purpose of the game that bbcjraj wants to create...

bbcjraj

USA - English
    Thanks for your help and comments. I'm not really thinking of any specific location or direction of travel. I would like the students to earn points for stuff we do in class and as they earn points, they can move their car to a different location. I'd like to use the locations not as our specific unit of study but so that they pick up some geography information just by playing the game. Maybe I should call it something like Carrera a través de América del Sur if you all think that the first name would imply only one direction through the Andes.

Do you think that Carrera por América del Sur would be correct? Por or Sobre are some of their early vocabulary words and I'd like to use them if possible but it wouldn't necessarily be a hardship for them to learn another word in context that maybe their vocabulary book doesn't cover.

Thanks again for your help.

franzjekill

Español rioplatense
    Do you think that Carrera por América del Sur would be correct?
    Sí, es correcto. También Carrera sudamericana.

Trans- o tras-, que significa a través, en el caso de los Andes, para nosotros significa Chile. Trasandina: que atraviesa los Andes hasta Chile. Creo que en el caso de los Andes, le doy la razón a Oldy Nuts. Es más, no se puede atravesar los Andes de sur a norte o de norte a sur porque no hay ninguna carretera que tenga ese recorrido. Ni por camino de tierra ni por huella de arrieros... En el caso de otras cadenas, como por ejemplo los Pirineos, la transpirenaica es una carrera en btt que cruza desde el Atlántico hasta el Mediterráneo, del lado francés o del lado español, pero no significa cruzar de España hacia Francia. O sea, a través, de por sí y sin ningún contexto, no indica el sentido del cruce, tal como dice nachoq22.

< Previous | Next >