Rachel is so fired

< Previous | Next >

Riccardo91

Italian
Dear English forum,

I'd like to have your opinion about this sentence. In a cartoon, some people are babysitting a little girl at school, but they fear that other students or a teacher may find them. To avoid this, a girl named Rachel suggests to use a room where normally no one enters during schooltime. However, things don't go as planned, and someone says:

Nobody was supposed to come into that room until after school! Rachel is so fired.

I have some doubts about the use of "fired". I suppose the meaning should be "being discharged from a job", but does it sound ok to you?
Rachel is not in the babysitting group either, so I don't understand from what she would be fired.

Thanks!

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I understand it as meaning Rachel will be "fired" or excluded from their group from then on, at least for some time.

Copyright

American English
    "Rachel is so fired" means that "Rachel is definitely going to be fired." It's a colloquial use of "so." I don't know what job she will be fired from, so I can't help.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'd take it as a use of "fired" to mean she was sacked or dismissed from her 'job' of finding somewhere for the group to hide where they wouldn't be discovered.

It's a very informal usage. :)

Riccardo91

Italian
    I'd take it as a use of "fired" to mean she was sacked or dismissed from her 'job' of finding somewhere for the group to hide where they wouldn't be discovered.

It's a very informal usage. :)
    Thanks, this must be it. It still sounds a bit odd to me, but I guess it makes sense. ^^

< Previous | Next >