rachunek sumienia

Sara Lee

Chinese
Hi, everyone. I came across a Polish term that confused me.

rachunek sumienia

Here is the source link:
rachunek sumienia - English translation - bab.la Polish-English dictionary

I used the translator which told me that this term means examination of conscience. Is it correct?
Q1. Could you help to explain the literal meaning of it accurately in English?

Q2.
I want to use it as a keyword related to the religious topic of "confession/repentance"
Do you think it's okay?

Last edited:
  • Sara Lee

Chinese
    Oh my God,
    Thank you so much for your detailed explanation.
    It enlarges my knowledge. I learned a lot.
    So it doesn't mean examination of conscience?

zaffy

Polish
    Sorry I've misplaced the reply. It was for the 'tajemnica spowiedzi'. I'll delete it and paste it in that thread.

Last edited:

Sara Lee

Chinese
    Okay, I see.
    Thank you so much, zaffy
    Could you please help to explain "rachunek sumienia"?

zaffy

Polish
    examination of conscience -rachunek sumienia

Before you confess your sins to God who is represented by a priest, you need to recall and think over all your wrongdoings. There are booklets with hundreds of questions which help you recall all your bad deeds. There are questions like: Have you insulted anyone? Have you been saying prayers daily? Have you been lazy? Have you committed adultery?

Sara Lee

Chinese
    Okay, I see.
    Got it.
    Thank you so much for your nice answer and great help.
    Many thanks!
    :)

jasio

There are booklets with hundreds of questions which help you recall all your bad deeds. There are questions like: Have you insulted anyone? Have you been saying prayers daily? Have you been lazy? Have you committed adultery?
    Although in general it's ok, I would put more attention specifically to the word "help" (or, perhaps "aid"). The main objective is not to go through a booklet, but to gradually work with your conscience, mind and heart to eventually become a better person. In this sense, an examination of conscience is even more important than the Confession.

You may find some more more information here: Examination of conscience - Wikipedia, albeit from a neutral point of view.

< Previous | Next >