radio vs. stereo

• te gato

Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    cromteaches said:
    What is the difference between these two words?

Thanks in advance.

CROM
    Hola Crom;
    A stereo is usually more than one component...CD player, Tuner, amp....
    where as a radio is just a radio..
    te gato;)

supercrom

Banned
    Homo peruvianus, practising AE n' learning BE
    icon_eek.gif
    mmmm
    icon_eek.gif

Very interesting...

CROM

mjscott

American English
    Back in the olden days, a radio was only monaural. The sound was one sound, and came through one speaker. The first stereos came through two speakers (even though sometimes still one sound--as in all recorded at the same time), and as recording got more sophisticated, sounds were split from side to side, treble and bass, woofers and tweeters. Anything not monaural is stereo ....

.... At least that's the evolution I experienced.

jacinta

USA English
    I don't even know if anyone has a radio anymore. Do they even sell radios alone? They are called boomboxes now. A boombox has a radio and CD, tape player. Tape players are even becoming obsolete. A radio has become just a component of the stereo system.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    jacinta said:
    I don't even know if anyone has a radio anymore. Do they even sell radios alone? They are called boomboxes now. A boombox has a radio and CD, tape player. Tape players are even becoming obsolete. A radio has become just a component of the stereo system.

Hola Jacinta,

Some of us neanderthals remember when the tone arm on a "record player"
    had to be lifted and placed down by hand. (N.B. "Victrolas" were before my time!). Then came Stereos, with more than one sound track, and vinyl records that spun at either 45 or 33 rpm [revolutions per minutes].

Now, as you say, a "stereo system" generally has an amplifier, often with a radio tuner included, and lots of other components. I still keep individual radios in the barn, the kitchen, and in my basement workshop, but even these have tape players and/or CD players included...except the one in the barn, which is nothing more than an old radio that receives only 2 stations!

saludos,
    Cuchu

garryknight

UK, English
    jacinta said:
    I don't even know if anyone has a radio anymore. Do they even sell radios alone?

High-street electrical retailers over here sell digital radios (for exorbitant prices) and you can still get the old type but most of them are pocket-sized. Tape players do seem to have died the death, though.

nmgadb

English - US
    Radio refers to the part of the stereo that gets a signal (am/fm/maybe xm counts too). It CAN be mono or stereo sound though.

A stereo usually refers to a multi-component unit. I think the word stereo is usually all-inclusive too, you can say "that is a nice stereo" and be talking about a cd player, tape player, record player, radio, receiver, amplifier...the list can go on.

Often times I think we use radio and stereo generically to mean the same thing, but they aren't, and we probably shouldn't do that so much.
    -Nathan

jacinta

USA English
    When I think of the word "radio", the image of those little hand-held transistor radios we used to get for Christmas comes to mind, the ones you could only get AM stations on. And now, like Cuchu says, old men ( :eek: Did I call you old?) listen to the game in their garages on old-fashioned radios.

Panpan

England, English
    Stereo means two different sound tracks reproduced through two separate chanels; two amplifiers, and two speakers. As distinct from mono, which has only 1 chanel.

It is now commonly used to refer to any sort of hi-fi including radio, c.d. player etc.

Hope this helps

Panpan