Ragù

Big Cajun

English
I can not find the word " ragu" in the Italian dictionary. Please help me out. Is this a made up word ? Thanks Big Cajun

• Lolito

Italian
    Big Cajun said:
    I can not find the word " ragu" in the Italian dictionary. Please help me out. Is this a made up word ? Thanks Big Cajun

"Ragù" is a sauce for Italian pasta made by meat and tomatoes.
    Hope this helps :)

Cheers

Lolito

Italian
    Big Cajun said:
    But if this is so then why is it not in the Dictionary?????

Even the most comprehensive dictionaries may miss something.
    "Ragù" (with accent on final "u") is an actual word, believe me :)

Big Cajun

English
    Thanks but I just wanted to look and see. I thought it was just an American slang for the sauce. I will still look for the word but can not find it. Thanks

Idioteque

Italy - Italian
    Big Cajun said:
    Thanks but I just wanted to look and see. I thought it was just an American slang for the sauce. I will still look for the word but can not find it. Thanks

You can find it here ;)

TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Raphillon said:
    Ragù is definitely an Italian word :)
    Che situ interessante, Raphillon! Ma mi fa rimpiangere che abbia solamente dell'insalata per pranzo oggi. :(

Elisabetta

Juri

italian/Slovenia
    Quasi incredibile, ma vero:il ragu arriva in italiano dal francese "ragout", ripreso a sua volta dal latino "gustus".
    Esiste anche il verbo "ragoutter",che significa risvegliare l'appetito.

anglomania1

UK English
    Hi,
    I'm just a bit late here!!:eek:
    Anyway, I think you can use ragout in English, too - it's in my Oxford dictionary.
    But I think most Brits would simply say Bolognese sauce or meat sauce, don't you think?
    Any comments?
    Anglo:)

Francesco22

italiano
    Hi guys...
    what if I have to say "ragù di pesce"? I thought "fish sauce" was the right solution, but googling it I found it's a sort of drink made with fish and salted water... bleah!!!
    How do you usually call it in England/USA?!

Polpo_D

English ϟ USA
    Una volta appurato, nei post precedenti, che "ragout" è usato anche in Inglese, perché non "fish ragout"?

Non so di Inghilterra, ma negli stati uniti ragu e ragout sono 2 piatti totalmente diversi, nonostante uno venga dall'altro.
    • ragout, cioè un piatto francese, in America, non e' un sugo, e' uno "stew" ossia uno stufato, una zuppa densa.
    • ragu, dall'altro canto, non e' uno stufato, bensì un sugo, e appunto un piatto italiano. Sebbene uno di questi piatti ha partorito l'altro, questi termini non sono intercambiabili, almeno non negli stati uniti.
    Di solito, per quanto riguarda i piatti, teniamo il nome nella lingua originale con una descrizione inglese perché più raffinato cosi'. Ma, se si dovesse tradurlo direi, "Seafood Ragu" oppure specificherei i propri nomi dei pesci, ad esempio; "Cod Ragu" / "Halibut and Mackerel Ragu".

"Fish Ragu" ha un suono disgustoso in inglese a mio parere.

curiosone

AmE - hillbilly ;)
    While ragout (in French) and ragu' (in Italian) are different foods, the term ragu' does likely find its origin in the French term. Ragu' is what the Bolognese call their sauce (which I'd also call 'meat sauce' to English speakers). When I first went to study in Bologna, I (personally) found the local dialect irritating because it sounded (to me) like bad French, then realized that many northern Italian dialects have a lot in common with the French language (and in fact the dialect in Nice, France has many words in common with dialects in Romagna - spelled differently but with the same pronunciation).

london calling

UK English
    Hi,
    I'm just a bit late here!!:eek:
    Anyway, I think you can use ragout in English, too - it's in my Oxford dictionary.
    But I think most Brits would simply say Bolognese sauce or meat sauce, don't you think?
    Any comments?
    Anglo:)
    No, because a ragù here in Campania is not a bolonaise sauce. :)

Ragù alla napoletana

Google Image Result for https://www.giallozafferano.it/images/ricette/166/16658/foto_hd/hd650x433_wm.jpg

Mi hanno detto che 'ragù' sia l'equivalente della nostra 'gravy' (cioè sugo di carne).
    This is totally ridiculous. Whoever said that to Lee didn't know what they were talking about.

Polpo_D

English ϟ USA
    No, because a ragù here in Campania is not a bolonaise sauce. :)

Ragù alla napoletana

It's totally blasphemous for someone living in Emilia, but to me, even though Ragù alla napoletana is much less famous, it's the real ragu! (Of course I'm bit biased being of neapolitan origin.) Happy to see someone else knows of it

Last edited:

curiosone

AmE - hillbilly ;)
    It's totally blasphemous for someone living in Emilia, but to me, even though Ragù alla napoletana is much less famous, it's the real ragu! (Of course I'm bit biased being of neapolitan origin.) Happy to see someone else knows of it

In fact, while open to learning something new, I am totally scandalized! :D:eek:o_O ...having lived in Emilia-Romagna for the last 45 years (more or less), and having learned to make ragù from my Bolognese in-laws. I even find it slightly blasphemous when people (in Romagna) state they can make a ragù sauce in an hour or so, when REAL Bolognese ragù requires a MINIMUM of 4 hours of slow cooking (an hour only for the soffritto of the 'odori' of minced onion, carrot and celery). My grandmother-in-law's ragù cooked for at least 8 hours, on the back of her wood-heated stove (in a 'coccio di terracotta').

p.s. I also prefer Bolognese lasagne to any other revisitation. ;)

A User

Banned
    Italiano
    Per non fare torto a nessuno, anche il sugo di bra(s)ciole è un ragù. Il sugo diventa il condimento del primo piatto, le braciole il secondo piatto.