ragioni statiche

Zelide

English
Original Italian text refers to architectural orders (Doric, Ionic etc) and the way in which each storey diminishes in height.

Ma poi, per il secondo ordine ionico, non gli è stato possibile accettare lo stesso principio adottato per il primo,
quello cioè della diminuzione di un quarto, perché l’altezza complessiva sarebbe stata inaccettabile per ragioni statiche. Quindi, per cercare di contenere l’altezza d’insieme, la riduzione ha finito per essere vicina quasi alla metà, dunque fuori regola.

My translation below.

But then, when it came to the second order (Ionic) the standard principle used for the first couldn't be applied – i.e. that it diminish by a quarter – because the overall height wouldn't have been acceptable for reasons of STATICHE. So, to keep within the specified dimensions, it ended up being reduced by nearly a half, a clear flouting of architectural rules.

I have no idea how to translate Statiche -- static it clearly is not. If there's anyone out there who could help I would be extremely grateful.
Zelide

• Zelide

English
    Of course! Absolutely brilliant... I couldn't find this meaning in any dictionary. Life saver, thank you!