ragism and tagism

< Previous | Next >

Magazine

Español-España.
I have a question for these expressions. I have read this is an expression and goes together. I cannot find the meaning though.

This is included in one of the lyrics by John Lennon.

I don't know how to translate these words, there are some others: bagism, shagism and I wonder if this really has no meaning. I was told in the Spanish forum that there was nothing to understand......

Are the words really all made up?:confused:

• ewie

English English
    Yes.
    Without any context they mean nothing whatsoever. I imagine that even if we had the context, they still wouldn't mean much, if anything.

Magazine

Español-España.
    This is from the lyrics of the song:

Give Peace a chance

Ev'rybody's talking about
    Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
    This-ism, that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m.

So, rag and tag is not an idiomatic expression? I thought it was.:(

ewie

English English
    Well, rag tag is, yes, but not ragism or tagism.
    Ragtag and bobtail is an expression which is in the dictionary at the top of the page.

Magazine

Español-España.
    Thank you Ewie and Loop. I introcuded "rag and tag" in the dictionary and got no results. I thought it was separate.

The link is very interesting. What is the meaning of bobtail?

alexacohen

Banned
    Spanish. Spain
    Hi Trisia,

I've found the courage to post in the EO forum, at last. (It won't last long).

What Cirrus and I told Magazine was that ragism, dragism, shagism, tagism, &co. had no meaning whatsoever; they were just a string of words made up by John Lennon to mock the "word-ism" mania.

The meaning of the sentence is that it has no meaning.

Except for "bagism", which is how John Lennon chose to name is "people inside a bag" campaign.

Matching Mole

England, English
    I agree with Trisia on "bob-tail". It is an obsolete term for a contemptible character, but will originally have referred to the practice of cutting short the tails of horses and dogs - probably the dog, in this case. Perhaps the sort of dog that had its tail docked was not the most pleasant sort. There was also such a thing as a bob-tail coat, but I imagine this came later.

The phrase "rag-tag and bob-tail" was adapted as the title of a children's TV series, Rag, Tag and Bobtail. Bobtail being, appropriately, a rabbit.

< Previous | Next >