rain will cool the temperature down

< Previous | Next >

arueng

CHINESE
It's great to have some rain because it will cool the temperature down a bit.

Hi,
Is it right to say "cool the temperature down a bit" in the above? Are there alternatives? Are the following also right? Thanks.

It will drop the temperature down a bit.
It will decrease the temperature a bit.

• soccergal

English - US
    In the Southern US: The rain will cool things down or The rain will cool things off. I always say the second one.

arueng

CHINESE
    In casual conversation I most often hear "The rain will cool things down."
    Thanks, JamesM.
    YOur version sounds very casual to me indeed.

Lower is oft used.

It's great to have some rain because it will lower the temperature (down) a bit.

GF..
    Thanks, George.
    Lower the temperature down a bit--this does ring a bell.

In the Southern US: The rain will cool things down or The rain will cool things off. I always say the second one.
    Thanks, soccergal.

Your favorite version sounds more casual and cooler to my ear.
    For the sake of curiosity, do all of my versions sound right at all?

Big Hoser

English-Français

In my opinion, yes, both are correct (grammatically). But neither of them would be used to discuss the weather. At least, not in a casual way. The two sentences above would make more sense (to me) if you were discussing the science behind rain versus temperature.
    As in, "What will the rain do, other than promote vegetable growth?"
    "It will drop the temperature down a bit." OR "It will decrease the temperature a bit."

soccergal

English - US
    Thanks, soccergal.

Your favorite version sounds more casual and cooler to my ear. :)
    For the sake of curiosity, do all of my versions sound right at all?
    It will drop the temperature down a bit sounded a little odd. It will cause the temperature to drop sound better, but also more formal.

It will decrease the temperature is perfectly correct, but sounds more like a phrase you would hear in science class than casual conversation.

arueng

CHINESE

In my opinion, yes, both are correct (grammatically). But neither of them would be used to discuss the weather. At least, not in a casual way. The two sentences above would make more sense (to me) if you were discussing the science behind rain versus temperature.
    As in, "What will the rain do, other than promote vegetable growth?"
    "It will drop the temperature down a bit." OR "It will decrease the temperature a bit."
    Thanks, big hoser.

Got it!

It will drop the temperature down a bit sounded a little odd. It will cause the temperature to drop sound better, but also more formal.

It will decrease the temperature is perfectly correct, but sounds more like a phrase you would hear in science class than casual conversation.
    Thanks, soccergal.
    Got it.

As a side note, most of us learn our English through the official textbooks here, so we're used to the very formal English. Now and then, casual speeches of English stump me.

lgr632525968

Chinese
    Hi, everyone.
    According to other threads, when meaning weather, "temperature" is usually used in plural.
    I wonder if I can say "The rain will lower temperatures/the temperatures tomorrow".

Thank you for your help.

< Previous | Next >