''Raise well/badly'' Vs ''good/bad upbringing''

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know which one sounds better/more natural in the contexts below: raise x upbringing. Please take a look.

1. His parents raise him well. Vs His parents give him a good upbringing.

2. His parents raise him badly. Vs His parents give him a bad upbringing.

Defintions:

Raise(verb): to look after your children and help them grow. - Longman
Upbringing(noun): the way that your parents care for you and teach you to behave when you are growing up. - Longman

Thank you in advance!

• ride7359

You are using the terms themselves correctly, but the tense of the verb with "upbringing" sounds strange to me. I have no explanation.

1. His parents raise/are raising him well. Vs His parents are giving him a good upbringing.

2. His parents raise/are raising him badly. Vs His parents are giving him a bad upbringing.

If I had to choose, I would be most likely to say, for example, "He is polite because his parents raise/are raising him well."

The Prof

Although they are not necessarily wrong, none of those sentenses sounds particularly natural to me in the simple present tense. The continuous feels better: "His parents are raising him well / giving him a good upbringing".
    Personally, I would consider the two to mean almost exactly the same thing - although the use of "raise" sounds a little American to my ear.

That said, I think it would be more common (in BE) to hear "His parents are bringing him up well".

< Previous | Next >