Rang hollow

kaoruca

Español - España
Hello guys, I know that it means that you feel that something is not true, but I don't understand it in this context. Maybe the author had a mistake or has it got another meaning I cannot see?
The girl thought that Kenshin was hers, that he belonged to her family (though he can't say anything about it because he is not able yet). When his master accused her of wanting Kenshin to stay that way so that she wouldn't be alone ("at least he can never leave you, not in the state he's in..."), she thought "hadn't she thought the same thing, or near enough?"
So when afterwards she kicks his master out of her house and it says "At least he can never leave you rang hollow in her mind" and she starts crying, I don't understand because she believes them.
Could they mean anything else?
At least he can never leave you rang hollow in her mind.
(Las palabras) Al menos nunca podrá dejarte sonaban falsas/ parecían mentira en su mente.
Thank you in advance

• Masood

British English
    I feel sorry for you, this is tricky stuff.
    To me, it means that the thought resonated in her head. The use of hollow might mean she is in a state of shock.

kaoruca

Español - España
    Thank you so much for your help, Masood and traviessso.
    Your suggestion makes a lot of sense, Masood. I knew I was missing something.
    Maybe "resonaban/ reverberaban en su cabeza" could imply that sense, like an echo.

< Previous | Next >