range from <patronising misfires to sexist embarrassments>

< Previous | Next >

slothlee

汉语
The article is "If you're sick of phones that look the same, make a Cyrcle" from CNET. Here are the passages: "One of the driving forces behind the design of the Cyrcle was Cyr's frustration with the way her phone didn't serve her needs as well as she'd like. Cyr and Inagawa are both mothers -- their kids were born just five days apart -- and the Cyrcle is designed to address the needs of women both in features and physical design.

When I mentioned this aspect of the story to my fellow editors, almost all of them rolled their eyes. We're jaded by the tech industry's attempts to foist upon women products that range from patronising misfires at best to sexist embarrassments at worst."

I can find the meanings of "misfire" and "sexist" and "embarrseements" in the dictionary, and I am just not sure what does "patronising misfires at best to sexist embarrassments at worst" mean in the passage? How to understand "misfire" and "sexist embarrrassments" here?

• JamesM

Misfire is in our dictionary. Please check out the second definition. Sexist is also in our dictionary.

"Sexist embarrassments" means that the products or their advertising are embarassingly sexist. They make the company look bad because the sexism seems so blatant and unrecognized by the company itself.

One example that comes to mind is the Bic Cristal Pen For Her -- yes, that's actually the product name. Read the sarcastic reviews on Amazon and you'll get an idea of how badly an advertising campaign can misfire:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1...qid=1357310717&sr=8-1&keywords=ladies+bic+pen

slothlee

汉语
    Misfire is in our dictionary. Please check out the second definition. Sexist is also in our dictionary.

"Sexist embarrassments" means that the products or their advertising are embarassingly sexist. They make the company look bad because the sexism seems so blatant and unrecognized by the company itself.

One example that comes to mind is the Bic Cristal Pen For Her -- yes, that's actually the product name. Read the sarcastic reviews on Amazon and you'll get an idea of how badly an advertising campaign can misfire:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1...qid=1357310717&sr=8-1&keywords=ladies+bic+pen
    Thanks a lot, JamesM. I get the meaning of the sentence now. I have seen the link you post, that's really helpful.

< Previous | Next >