rank and file pressure

timoun

France French
I don't know how to translate: "England's trade unions gave way to rank and file pressure". Les syncicats anglais ont cédé devant les pressions de rang et de dossier ??? doesn't sound at all right...
Can anyone help?
Thank you !

• Coppers

English - England
    "Rank and file" is an interesting phrase - I'm not sure where it comes from (perhaps military in origin?) from but basically is means "ordinary" / "low level" workers. Does this help?

FAC13

English, UK
    "rank-and-file" = "de la base". In this case I believe it is referring to the union's own members.

timoun

France French
    "Rank and file" is an interesting phrase - I'm not sure where it comes from (perhaps military in origin?) from but basically is means "ordinary" / "low level" workers. Does this help?
    This is what Brewer's says: Rank and file: soldiers and non-commissioned officers as distinct from commissioned officers, hence the followers in a movement as distinct from its leaders. "Rank" refers to men in line abreast or side by side, "file" to men standing one behind the other.

BomTrown

English
    In chess literature, the ranks are the horizontal lines (rows of squares) on the board. The files are the vertical lines.

Samedi14

France - French
    I'm thinking of using 'rank-and-file' in a translation, but I am not sure if it works.
    Here is the original in French:

"Comme si le Pakistan renouait avec ses vieux démons. Comme s'il rechutait dans l'atavisme des affrontements politiciens stériles qui avaient jadis conforté le militarisme au sommet de l'Etat et dopé l'islamisme à la base de la société."
    Here is my attempt: "...and fueled rank-and-file islamism".

Comments and suggestions welcome!

BomTrown

English
    The following comes from Chess Notes by Edward Winter:

5973. Rank and file

Tom Brown (Baltimore, MD, USA) asks about the origins of the chess terms ‘rank’ and ‘file’ and how their dating compares with that of the military phrase ‘rank and file’.
    The Oxford English Dictionary has the following entries:
    ‘1598 R. Barret Theorike & Pract. Mod. Warres III. 34: “To learne to keepe his ranke and file orderly.”
    1597 G. B. Damiano da Odemira’s Ludus Scacchiæ: Chesse-play sig. Diijv: “Moouing a Pawne from left hand side, which on the fourth ranke stood.”
    1614 A. Saul Chesse-play i. 3: “Imagine that the blacke King for his first draught playeth his owne Pawne into the third house in his owne file.”’

Scrivener

English - UK
    Here is my attempt: "...and fueled rank-and-file islamism".

Comments and suggestions welcome!
    Here's a suggestion, then: "rank and file", to me, has a militant ring which the French wording doesn't seem to justify. Would you talk about "rank-and-file Christianity"?
    How about "grassroots" instead?

Samedi14

France - French
    I sure wouldn't mind talking about "rank-and-file Christianism" though.

I thought "grassroots" had a militant ring, as I heard it used all the time when I was myself an activist in an organization.

Thanks for the advice!

< Previous | Next >