Rapid/quick/fast/speedy

< Previous | Next >

gothicpartner

Spanish
Could someone explain to me what the difference among them are when they are used as adjetive??

I just know that all of them mean "Rápido"
Some examples could help me understand better.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

• CumboBaz

All the examples I can think of could use either word: a fast horse; a fast pain reliever; a fast thinker

These would all be OK with quick, speedy, rapid. The only exception is where the adjective and the noun are always used together in common speech.

"My watch is fast". People would not understand if you said quick, speedy or rapid here.
    "Life in the fast lane".
    "She is fast and loose".
    "Faster than a speeding bullet" etc...

CB

gothicpartner

Spanish
    The only exception is where the adjective and the noun are always used together in common speech.

What did you mean by that??

You meant that I can use: [speedy/quick/fast/rapid] + noun ( together with a noun)

But if I use: Noun+ to be+ fast (I should only use fast here or where fast is not next to a noun)

Thanks

CumboBaz

I think 'Adjective (speedy/quick/fast/rapid) + Noun' will be OK in most cases - I could think of only a few where it wouldn't. E.g.

The fast lane. Here 'fast lane' is used like a noun to describe the outside lane of a motorway and 'The speedy, quick or rapid lane' sounds wrong.

CB

< Previous | Next >