rapidly [pronunciation]

< Previous | Next >

Rolling Cloud

Mandarin
from Google :
rap·id·ly
/ˈrapədlē/

to me it sounds like /ˈrapə-dlē/, where the "dly" part is pronounced together, am I correct? if so, how can you tell that from "rap·id·ly" or "/ˈrapədlē/"?
this seems to happen a lot in words containing "ly" ending, when it's ***dly, ***tly, are there specific rules to this?

• moustic

British English
    Hello and welcome to the forum, Rolling Cloud.
    Your question is not very clear.
    If you use the dictionary search option at the top of this page, you can hear how different English speakers pronounce "rapidly".

kentix

English - U.S.
    The syllable divisions are shown above the phonetic pronunciation.

rap·id·ly

The d and ly are not pronounced together.

You could say
    ra·pid·ly or
    rap·id·ly

But never
    rap·i·dly

You just pronounce the base word and add an additional syllable, ly.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In spoken AE there is no separation between syllables (and no separation between words).

So there is no pronunciation difference between "rap·id·ly" and "rap·i-dly".

In both, there are two vowels with the "dl" consonant cluster between them.

Rolling Cloud

Mandarin
    Hello and welcome to the forum, Rolling Cloud.
    Your question is not very clear.
    If you use the dictionary search option at the top of this page, you can hear how different English speakers pronounce "rapidly".
    Thank you, I heard it many times, even in X0.25 speed, the "d" sound always confuses me in various situations, well, at least in American pronunciation

Last edited:

Rolling Cloud

Mandarin
    The syllable divisions are shown above the phonetic pronunciation.

rap·id·ly

The d and ly are not pronounced together.

You could say
    ra·pid·ly or
    rap·id·ly

But never
    rap·i·dly

You just pronounce the base word and add an additional syllable, ly.
    alright, but the "d" is very light right? almost like a stop d? the d in "rapid" certainly sounds different without ly, I can clearly hear that d sound, but not the case when ly is added

Last edited:

Rolling Cloud

Mandarin
    In spoken AE there is no separation between syllables (and no separation between words).

So there is no pronunciation difference between "rap·id·ly" and "rap·i-dly".

In both, there are two vowels with the "dl" consonant cluster between them.
    thank you, but I dont understand how can it be no separation between words? do you mean we always connect the words ? where they sound a little different compare to saying them individually?
    Can you recommend any sources that can help with English speaking? Specifically, how to say "accepted it" fluently? i am no issue saying them separately, but when I try to connect "it" to any "ed" past tense, it just sounds weird to me, and I can't seem to find a source on google

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The general principle is that the consonant at the end of a syllable tends to be weaker than consonants at the beginning of syllables in all varieties of English. The /d/ in bid than the /d/ in dib; for many speakers the former might be unreleased. That is why the /d/ in rapidly is weak. The combination <dl> does not occur in English syllables in any case.

Rolling Cloud

Mandarin
    The general principle is that the consonant at the end of a syllable tends to be weaker than consonants at the beginning of syllables in all varieties of English. The /d/ in bid than the /d/ in dib; for many speakers the former might be unreleased. That is why the /d/ in rapidly is weak. The combination <dl> does not occur in English syllables in any case.
    Thank you!

< Previous | Next >