Raquette de tennis / manche et cordage


Senior Member
France / French
Hello everyone,

As I am playing a tennis match on Saturday :), I was wondering how to say manche and cordage in English.

Manche is the part with which we hold the racquet, and the cordage is the network of cords with which we strike the ball.

Thank you!
  • alisonp

    Senior Member
    English - UK
    The bit of a racket that you actually hold (which still usually has tape wound round it, I think?) would be the grip. The "manche", I think, could be the handle or shaft, but I don't really recognise either of those as common terms. "Strings" is more usual than "stringing" in this context, I think.