rarely are we met with a challenge

< Previous | Next >

flyingcat2008

china,chino
But rarely in any time does an issue lay bare the secret heart of America itself.Rarely are we met with a challenge,not to our growth or abundance, or our welfare or our security, but rather to the values, and the purpose..

Hi, everyone!

Why the first sentence use" does" ,the second sentence use "are"??

I was taught that if put "rarely" first, the subject and verb should change place.So why not say" Rarely does we met with a challenge"?? The verb met corresponds to "does" . Also the verb " lay bare" corresponds to "does".

Besides, "to our growth" is followed by "challenge"??
That is to say " we met with a challenge to our growth" is right sentence ?

I have some grammar problems :),wish you can help me:)

• gasman

Canada, English
    I think this should be answered by an US citizen. It is from from a very important speech given by President Johnson I believe.

FC7user

US English
    Let's separate the two sentences for clarity and break them down into simple forms.

But rarely in any time does an issue lay bare the secret heart of America itself.

An issue (subject) does lay (verb) bare. (active voice)

Rarely are we met with a challenge,not to our growth or abundance, or our welfare or our security, but rather to the values, and the purpose..

We (subject) are met (verb). (passive voice)

Hi, everyone!

Why the first sentence use" does" ,the second sentence use "are"?? The second sentence is in passive voice, which appears to break the standard "does" pattern.

I was taught that if put "rarely" first, the subject and verb should change place.So why not say" Rarely does we met with a challenge"?? The verb met corresponds to "does". I don't think so. "Does" and "met" are in separate sentences. Also the verb " lay bare" corresponds to "does". This is true.

Besides, "to our growth" is followed by "challenge"?? Isn't it the other way around?
    That is to say " we met with a challenge to our growth" is right sentence ? YES!!!

I have some grammar problems :),wish you can help me:)

flyingcat2008

china,chino
    Thank you,all!

FC7user:
    We are met with a challenge= we met a challenge??

Acturally, I seldom notice the passive like " we are met".I often see" we met"...

thank you:)

Forero

An issue rarely lays bare the secret heart of America. We are rarely met with this type of challenge.

We are met with a challenge = Someone or something meets us with a challenge. [present tense]

FC7user

US English
    Thank you,all!

FC7user:
    We are met with a challenge= we met a challenge??

Acturally, I seldom notice the passive like " we are met".I often see" we met"...

thank you:)
    I agree with Forero. "We met" implies that we are the ones doing the action. "We are met" implies that someone or something is presenting the challenge to us.

Hope this helps!

< Previous | Next >