rarity

< Previous | Next >

meero

Arabic - Egyptian
Hello everyone
I can not fully capture the intent of the writer saying 'rarity' in the following text:

'Improve your langauge so you can more persuasive with clients. Talk about 'particular issues to address' rather than 'problems'. Say 'I shouldn't tell you this but I will', to engage and give the felling of rarity.'
what does the writer describe of being a rarity?

From Philip Hesketh's book How to Persuade & Influence People: Powerful techniques to get your own way more often.
The relevant Page is here
Thank you

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    It's an odd usage, in my opinion. If I had to substitute a word, it might be exclusivity. But I would like to know the source of the text -- a forum requirement, by the way. (Rule 4)

meero

Arabic - Egyptian
    Mr copyright, I added the source of the text. Seeing your suggestion, I still wonder: rarity/execlusivity of what?

Copyright

American English
    Thank you for the context. I think that I shouldn't tell you this but I will', to engage and give the felling of rarity offers three interpretations:

1. to give the person a feeling of being special, that you are telling something exclusively to to this person and no one else.
    2. to give the impression that this gem of information that you're offering is rare.
    3. to mean that it is rare that this confidentiality would be extended to someone.

Personally, I would just keep on reading, knowing it was one of those or similar. :)

< Previous | Next >