1. isausa81 Senior Member

    Nantes, FRANCE
    FRANCE - French
    What is the French for "Rashers of bacon" please ? Or can someone explain me what is it in English ?
    Thanks a lot ;+) !
  2. SNTB99

    SNTB99 Senior Member

    I think you must read "Rashers of baron" meaning tranches de baron (referring to "aloyau)
    to me, "rashers of bacon" seems meaningless (tranches de lard)

    try & see the best
  3. JerseyRich

    JerseyRich Senior Member

    Rashers of bacon is "Tranche de bacon" slices of bacon
  4. Cath.S.

    Cath.S. Senior Member

    Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Il est intéressant de noter que le mot rasher, d'origine inconnue, ne s'emploie que pour le bacon et que pour les autres aliments on dit slice.
  5. JerseyRich

    JerseyRich Senior Member

    I don't know why the English use the word "rasher" when talking about bacon. At the end of the day it is still a "slice of bacon" - Tranches de lard
  6. Auryn

    Auryn Senior Member

    France, French
    Here's a theory:

    The origin of "rasher" is uncertain, but it is probably related to the French "raser" (to cut or shave) which also gave us "raze" (to destroy or obliterate) and "razor." "Rasher" first appeared in English in the late 16th century.

    (from www.word-detective.com)
  7. Cath.S.

    Cath.S. Senior Member

    Bretagne, France
    français de France
    It seems that in ME rashen meant to cut, which would make sense.
  8. emma42 Senior Member

    North East USA
    British English
    In the memoir, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt (memories of an Irish childhood - 1950s?) the word "rasher" is used on its own to mean "bacon" or "rasher of bacon".

    "We had rashers for tea".
  9. marget Senior Member

    Judging from the responses, I can see that "rashers" must be used in British English. I know of its usage from my Irish background, but I just wanted to mention that we don't use it in American English. We just say "slices".
  10. emma42 Senior Member

    North East USA
    British English
    Yes, in my experience, both "rashers" and "slices" are used in GB English. I would happily use either, but other native speakers may have different views.
  11. mishortia New Member

    australia english
    Both rasher and slices are used in Australian English.
  12. wildan1

    wildan1 Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)

    Actually it does exist in AE, but with a slightly different meaning. And this term is only one you would read on a menu or in a cookbook or food magazine:

    a rasher of bacon is a serving (portion) of several slices of bacon.

    Somehow we have reinterpreted rasher to be a collective noun, like a school of fish or a flock of geese: a rasher of bacon

    In a British restaurant my waiter was confounded and I was later disappointed when I attempted to order "one rasher" to go with my eggs for the first time!
  13. polaire Senior Member

    English, United States
    I have seen it used in American English, but not much. "Slices," as marget said, is much more common.

    If the people are gourmets ("into food" "foodies"), they might be more likely to use the term "rashers of bacon."
  14. Labhra New Member

    Grenoble, France
    English - Ireland
    It's officially 'rashers of bacon'

    In Ireland we just call them rashers, and in the UK it tends to just be bacon ie 'bacon sandwich, bacon and eggs' and in the US either slices of bacon, or just bacon.
  15. franc 91 Senior Member

    English - GB
    Rashers is the word I would use, but interestingly the machine used to cut the bacon into rashers is called a bacon-slicer. In France we do have bacon, though the 'rashers' are sometimes cut into a round shape. Slices of 'jambon cru' or 'fumé' aren't normally fried. Thin slices are also called 'lamelles'.
  16. Keith Bradford

    Keith Bradford Senior Member

    Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    Cultural note:
    In Britain a rasher of bacon is a long slice of cured pork about 3-4 mm thick, smoked or not, to be grilled or fried for breakfast, tea or sandwiches. If thicker (up to 10 mm) it's called a gammon rasher.
    In France (if you can find it) it's barely 1 mm thick and may be round (as Franc 91 says) or long. Heaven knows what it's intended for, as it's so thin it disappears if fried -- for lining terrines, perhaps?
  17. franc 91 Senior Member

    English - GB
    Well it is used for wrapping around quails for example, in the same way strips of fat are wound round 'paupiettes' or rosbif. The verb is - barder (whether the expression 'ça va barder' comes from this, I've no idea. 'Lard' is another faux-ami, English lard or dripping is called 'sain-doux'.
  18. theironduck Senior Member

    Portishead, UK
    English (British)
    Interesting - in English the act of wrapping bacon (or fat) around another meat to keep it moist during the cooking process is "barding" which must be from the same root.

    The same word can also mean to armour a horse. Dictionary.com gives the following etymology:

    [Middle English barde, from Old French, from Old Italian barda, from Arabic barda'a, packsaddle, from Persian pardah; see purdah.]

Share This Page