rat, rabbit, dermal rabbit, dermal guinea pig - meaning?

Baltic Sea

Banned
Polish
Hello verybody!

I am in the course of familiarising myself with a manual about paint. While reading it I came across the following phrases related to toxicological information: rat, rabbit, dermal rabbit, dermal guinea pig. Do they mean some sort of a rash or skin irritation?

Acute toxicity:
Oral LD50: > 2,000
mg/kg (rat).
Acute toxicity (irritation, sensitisation, etc):
Eye irritation: Irritating. (rabbit).
Skin irritation: Irritating. (dermal rabbit).
Sensitisation: Causes sensitisation (dermal guinea pig).

Thank you. The source: www.chemcoint.com

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The adjective dermal = of the skin.

irritating. (dermal rabbit). = it has an adverse effect on a rabbit's skin.

It does not say if it is a rash, blisters, cracking, loss of skin, ulceration, tumours, hair loss, staining or a rash, etc. It could be all or any of them.

Baltic Sea

Banned
    Polish
    What about rat, rabbit and dermal guinea pig - does it mean that the paint has a bad affect on rat, rabbit and dermal guinea pig, respectively, only when "dermal" is mentioned?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    rat, rabbit, dermal rabbit, dermal guinea pig are all headings/categories.

The toxicity, irritation, and sensitisation are measured on rats, and rabbits internally (by ingestion or injection), and on the skin of rabbits, and the skin of guinea pigs.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The lesson is, "Do not use a rabbit as a brush for applying the paint to a ship." :thumbsup:

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The words in parentheses are the names of the tests* used to determine the properties of the paint. (e.g., Dermal tests were performed using both rabbit and guinea pig as test species and the test result was positive). Oral LD50 is the oral dose that is lethal to 50% of the test animals etc.

*Such tests are performed according to standardized protocols for safety testing.

< Previous | Next >