rather you did..........than I...........?

< Previous | Next >

ullas84

turkish
if the first part and second part of ''would rather '' sentence have different subjects, how can we make this sentence ?

Are the following sentences correct grammatically?

A)I'd rather you repaired your shoes than I (buy/bought) a new one for you.

B)I'd prefer you to repair your shoes rather than I buy a new one for you.

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    The two parts must have parallel structures.

I'd rather you mended your shoes than I bought a new pair for you.
    I'd prefer you to mend your shoes rather than me/I to buy a new pair for you.

ullas84

turkish
    The two parts must have parallel structures.

I'd rather you mended your shoes than I bought a new pair for you.
    I'd prefer you to mend your shoes rather than me/I to buy a new pair for you.
    but the following sentence does not have paralel structure is it an exception?

''I would rather you bought a Gucci bag than buy a car''

lingobingo

English - England
    I'd prefer you to repair your shoes rather than I buy a new one for you. :thumbsdown: (very informal but might be heard)
    I'd prefer you to repair your shoes rather than having to buy a new one for you. :thumbsup: (but also clumsy)

I would rather [that] you bought a Gucci bag than buy [that you bought] a car. :thumbsup:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I don't know if this is correct/incorrect or just style (and I'm AE, not BE), but for me the subject needs to be the same for both parts of the "do A rather than do B". So I might say:

A) I'd rather you repaired your shoes than had me buy a new pair for you.

The (B) sentence uses a "prefer" syntax to talk about two events. Here I might say:

B) I'd prefer that you repaired your shoes rather than that I bought a new pair for you.

But (as LB says) these are both awkward sentences, and not likely to be used.

< Previous | Next >