rattle windows

< Previous | Next >

inoinocenciaino

Spanish - Spain
The A-Team: Amy, the journalist, wants to rescue Al Massey, one of her fellow reporters who has been kidnapped. But the newspaper's editor tells her:
I'm not gonna waste any more of this paper's money on him. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna let you use this paper's influence to rattle windows.
What does it mean?

• Packard

USA, English
    Earthquakes rattle windows. And rattling windows can therefor be scary. He was not going to allow the newspaper's influence scare him.

inoinocenciaino

Spanish - Spain
    Thank you very much Packard. Then, to use one's influence to rattle windows means using your position of power to get what you want? Or to cause a scandal? Or to get to meet people with power than can help you? It is not completely clear to me.
    Thank you in advance!

Packard

USA, English
    Thank you very much Packard. Then, to use one's influence to rattle windows means using your position of power to get what you want? Or to cause a scandal? Or to get to meet people with power than can help you? It is not completely clear to me.
    Thank you in advance!
    More like use your position of power to unnerve someone. Once unnerved they are likely to make mistakes.

unnerve Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

unnerve verb [ T ]
    US /ʌnˈnɜrv/
    feel less confident and slightly frightened:

The long silence unnerved him.

< Previous | Next >