Rattling/Rumbling at the thought ...

< Previous | Next >

prankstare

Portuguese - Brazil
I was wondering if the use of "rattling" or "rumbling" would be suitable in the example that follows:

"I was rattling/rumbling at the thought of me not doing good on the test."

Plus, any other corrections you might think of throughout my post is welcome. Thank you. :)

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    Neither "rattling" nor "rumbling" makes sense to me in this sentence. Was the person worried, unsettled, rattled?

I'd write "at the thought of not doing good on the test." "Good" is a common colloquial mistake, but the correct word would be "well": "doing well on the test."

prankstare

Portuguese - Brazil
    Yeah, like the person was worried by such thought. I am just trying to find an alternative way to say the same in a more colloquial way.

Oh yeah, you are right. It should have been "well" instead of "good" there. I forgot about this tiny detail.

JamesM

You could say, "I was rattled by the thought that I might not do well on the test." To be rattled by something is to be shaken up, disconcerted to the point that you are not functioning well.

From www.m-w.com's definition of rattle:

4: to upset especially to the point of loss of poise and composure : disturb

< Previous | Next >