Ravine: a steep-sided valley

Cupric

Turkey
Please check this reference: ravine - Dictionary Definition

A ravine is a
a deep narrow steep-sided valley

Steep sided means acute angle.

So what I am imagining right now: http://prntscr.com/eatf4a

The image may be not 100% quality, that's fine but I am looking for steep sided specifically. Is this correct? I know the valley has to be more narrow, but steep sided is what I am focusing on.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I'm sorry, but that link takes me to a line drawing that consists of two zigzag lines with three parallel lines (labeled "water") between them. It's hard to say whether it might represent a ravine or something else.

A Google search for images of a ravine will give you many examples.

Cupric

Turkey
    The whole thing is ravine. the Steep sides are connected together and they are shaped like acute angles according to the definition.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Again, it's impossible to comment on the line drawing. There's nothing in the drawing that indicates how steep the sides are meant to be, and the zigzagging seems very odd.

Are you perhaps thinking that "steep-sided" means that the edges of the ravine zigzag back and forth in acute angles (when viewed from an aerial perspective)? That's not it. "Steep-sided" means that the sides of the ravine rise sharply from its bottom, not gradually.If you climbed them, the climb would be steep.

Cupric

Turkey
    Again, it's impossible to comment on the line drawing. There's nothing in the drawing that indicates how steep the sides are meant to be, and the zigzagging seems very odd.

Are you perhaps thinking that "steep-sided" means that the edges of the ravine zigzag back and forth in acute angles (when viewed from an aerial perspective)? That's not it. "Steep-sided" means that the sides of the ravine rise sharply from its bottom, not gradually.If you climbed them, the climb would be steep.
    Please confirm with me, so it's like a slope? I am thinking that there's rock water rock as in the image, and there's rocks are like the shape of zig zag because I thought steep sides meant acute angel? I'm confused now. Sorry.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    [Post edited after the above post was retro-edited]

There's no zigzag implied. The slope of the walls of the ravine is steep, roughly like the letter "V."

Have you looked "steep" up in a dictionary, or done the Google image search I suggested? Here is one example:

images.jpg

Cupric

Turkey
    I'm sorry: what, exactly, do you think might be like a slope?

Have you looked "steep" up in a dictionary, or done the Google image search I suggested? Here is one example:

View attachment 21179
    I think that the valley looks like slope and in between the valley there's water. I have searched steep in dictionary and I still don't understand how can it rise sharply from the bottom. Like a mountain steep? isn't that the same thing as mountain slope?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Cupric, in post #6 I showed you an image as well as indicating that the shape of a ravine is similar to that of a letter "V." I am not sure what is still confusing you.

< Previous | Next >