raw-faced

möglich

français
Hello, I found this in "a moment in the sun" by John Sayles.
A boxing match is about to take place and the character, an inexperienced fighter, says, before going into the ring, that he "is more worried about the crowd, raw-faced and shouting around the ring, of being humiliated, than of his [adversary]".
Can someone please explain to me the meaning of "raw-faced". Thanks.

• sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Hi,

Raw-faced= Describes a person who is not trained or is without experience.

I would prefer not to leave this job to John while he's still a raw recruit /beginner.

Copyright

American English
    Raw-faced= Describes a person who is not trained or is without experience.

I would prefer not to leave this job to John while he's still a raw recruit /beginner.
    This is definitely not true in this context, and may not be true in any context.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    It can also mean: The harsh and rough faces,
    With no mercy,
    The opposite of kind and warm face

I asked this question of some native English speakers and they said it means: unprotected face. Refers to him being open to what is coming at him.

Last edited:

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    This is definitely not true in this context, and may not be true in any context.

Dear Cagey I posted the example from a valid dictionary (Longman). Why did you say it's not true in any context? Is the dictionary wrong?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    The question is about 'raw-faced' and it a description of how the people look. You cannot simply find a definition and apply it here.

I am not certain what raw-faced means. Possibly 'raw' refers to the raw expression of emotion on their faces, 'raw' in the sense of unrefined or frank. On the other hand, it may be 'raw' in the sense that it is reddish as uncooked meat it. Since I am not certain of the meaning, I hope that someone who is familiar with the phrase will see this thread and explain it.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Strange that I've seen this expression before and never really thought what it means, so thank you for the question.

Firstly it suggests to me a red face. I'd say it means a rough, red skin, not very smooth or well looked after. Generally it's unpleasant, or sometimes inspiring pity. Here, describing the people round the ring, it could have overtones of raw emotions showing on their faces, as Cagey says. A quick search online showed me that it isn't used in a very precise way: "A raw-faced youth" seems to suggest inexperience, and on one occasion a woman is described as "raw-faced from the cold", which I see as with red and perhaps chapped skin.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    This is a description of the crowd, not the youth, so the notion of experience is not relevant.

I read it to mean ruddy, like raw meat. Perhaps these folk are red faced because of an outdoor life, or booze which is firing up their hostile mood?

möglich

français
    Thanks to all of you for your comments.
    In my opinion, in this case, "raw-faced" might mean that their faces are red - the room is crowded so presumably hot, and the spectators drink a lot - and that they look angry, bitter, aggressive.
    Later is it written that the spectators "turn to look, whiskey-ornery" as the fighters enter the room.

MikeNewYork

English-American
    Thanks to all of you for your comments.
    In my opinion, in this case, "raw-faced" might mean that their faces are red - the room is crowded so presumably hot, and the spectators drink a lot - and that they look angry, bitter, aggressive.
    Later is it written that the spectators "turn to look, whiskey-ornery" as the fighters enter the room.
    One definition for "raw" in Webster's Third is "lacking in refinement and graciousness". A definition of "raw" in the Free Dictionary is
    Cruel and unfair". Either seems to fit your context. See here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/raw

< Previous | Next >