rayon / étagère

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by fab_, Jul 24, 2011.

  1. fab_ Member

    English- Ireland
    HEy I just want to check this! Is it correct that native speakers use different words for 'shelf' so that it's 'rayon' for a shelf in a fridge/shop, and 'étagère' for those in the house? Would you really differentiate between a shelf in a fridge and one on a bedroom wall?

    We don't have such a thing in the Irish language so find this very interesting!

  2. Gamiz Member

    yes it is true, but I don't know why. In fact, I never even noticed.
  3. fab_ Member

    English- Ireland
    Thanks for confirming that Gamiz. And is it plaque for a shelf in an oven?
  4. Gamiz Member

    yes "une plaque" ou "une grille". Plaque when it is plain, grille when it is a metal grid
  5. fab_ Member

    English- Ireland
    Thank you! Ye really excel yourselves when it comes to anything to do with food :)
  6. Meille Senior Member

    Quebec, Canada
    In Quebec, "un rayon" in a store is a department, not a shelf.
    In a fridge, there are "tablettes". On a wall too.
    "Une étagère" is a bookcase or other shelving unit, not just one shelf.

    In North American English we don't call it a shelf in the oven, we call it a rack. In French we too say "une grille" but I wonder if Gamiz was talking about stovetops and not ovens because, here at least, "plaque" and "grille" are surface, not inner options (griddle and grill).
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

Share This Page