rayon / étagère

fab_

English- Ireland
HEy I just want to check this! Is it correct that native speakers use different words for 'shelf' so that it's 'rayon' for a shelf in a fridge/shop, and 'étagère' for those in the house? Would you really differentiate between a shelf in a fridge and one on a bedroom wall?

We don't have such a thing in the Irish language so find this very interesting!

Thanks.

• Gamiz

Français
    yes "une plaque" ou "une grille". Plaque when it is plain, grille when it is a metal grid

Meille

English
    HEy I just want to check this! Is it correct that native speakers use different words for 'shelf' so that it's 'rayon' for a shelf in a fridge/shop, and 'étagère' for those in the house? Would you really differentiate between a shelf in a fridge and one on a bedroom wall?
    In Quebec, "un rayon" in a store is a department, not a shelf.
    In a fridge, there are "tablettes". On a wall too.
    "Une étagère" is a bookcase or other shelving unit, not just one shelf.

Thanks for confirming that Gamiz. And is it plaque for a shelf in an oven?
    yes "une plaque" ou "une grille". Plaque when it is plain, grille when it is a metal grid
    In North American English we don't call it a shelf in the oven, we call it a rack. In French we too say "une grille" but I wonder if Gamiz was talking about stovetops and not ovens because, here at least, "plaque" and "grille" are surface, not inner options (griddle and grill).

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >