(Razavar) رازآور - what does this mean?

Razavar

Punjabi
Hi, I am only familiar with Punjabi and English recently came across this:

Razavar Rural District - Wikipedia

It is a location with an interesting name. Growing up, I always knew or believed to know the name, Zorawar / Zoravar as meaning "someone with strength or force". When I came across this, it reminded me of that. I had a friend who speaks Urdu tell me it means "someone who holds secrets" given the -var or -avar suffix. I also don't know the difference between the two suffixes and would also like to learn that if there actually is any given what I saw in older threads.

I don't know much at all about the language and would like to know your opinion just out of curiosity because it sounds cool and so many words have the -var (or -avar idk) suffix across the Indo-Iranian languages.

• ebrahim

Persian
    When I came across this, it reminded me of that. I had a friend who speaks Urdu tell me it means "someone who holds secrets" given the -var or -avar suffix
    To me, it may be the opposite: someone who reveals secrets. Raz (secret) + Avar (to bring), so 'razavar', on the face of it, can literally mean 'someone who brings secrets'. However, as this is the name of a village as well as a river in Kurdistan, Iran, it may have a different meaning in Kurdish (it is ڕازاوه‌ر in Kurdish). So Kurdish speakers might be able to help.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    I don't know much at all about the language and would like to know your opinion just out of curiosity because it sounds cool and so many words have the -var (or -avar idk) suffix across the Indo-Iranian languages.
    Compare words such as بختاور، دلاور، زورآور meaning fortunate, brave, strong respectively, the -aavar suffix implies possession. With this in mind raaz-aavar would be someone (or here some place) possessing secrets.

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    We also have رازدار, دلدار or زوردار which do mean the possessor of heart, secrets & strength, آور indeed means the ‘bringer’, if not convinced check the following ترس‌آور، مرگ‌آور، اشک‌‌آور پیام‌آور دردآور, شادی‌آور etc.

دلاور means someone who ‘brings/gives bravery’ who by definition is brave, as s/he boosts the moral by giving or spreading bravery.

So رمزآور can be translated as someone who encourages/promotes secretiveness.

Last edited:

PersoLatin

UK
    Persian - Iran
    This is how the language is used now & has always been used, it is not my opinion, it is the Persian language, but like always let’s leave another point unresolved.

Qureshpor

Panjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    This is how the language is used now & has always been used, it is not my opinion, it is the Persian language, but like always let’s leave another point unresolved.

فرهنگ عمید

آور

1 = آوردن

2= آورنده، دارنده

(در ترکیب با کلمۀ دیگر)

بارآور، سودآور، شرم آور، ننگ آور

There is a river called raaz-aavar in the province of Kermanshah. It makes more sense if the name of the river meant "possessor of secrets" than "bringer of secrets".

(تصاویر) رودخانه «رازآور» هم خشکید