re-accommodate [passengers]

bennymix

Word of the day. I haven't seen it before. Have you? One of the men was dragged bodily from the plane by airport police.

United Airlines CEO on removal of passengers from a plane that was overbooked:

"I apologise for having to re-accommodate these customers. Our team is moving with a sense of urgency to work with the authorities and conduct our own detailed review of what happened."
United boss defiant in dragged passenger memo

• owlman5

English-US
    I doubt that I've heard or read it before, Benny, but its meaning seems clear enough from the context. I wouldn't be surprised to hear it in an explanation from an airline employee about what they planned to do with me after they canceled the flight I wanted.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

pob14

American English
    "Re-accommodate" = to accommodate again = to provide new accommodations = to put you on a different flight.

I've heard it before - we've volunteered to be re-accommodated (bumped) from an oversold flight. No dragging was involved on those occasions, though.

bennymix

So you undertook 'voluntary deboarding'? :)

Would you say you were de-accommodated before you were re-accommodated?

"Re-accommodate" = to accommodate again = to provide new accommodations = to put you on a different flight.

I've heard it before - we've volunteered to be re-accommodated (bumped) from an oversold flight. No dragging was involved on those occasions, though.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    This more recent question has been added to a previous discussion. Cagey, moderator

The quotation comes from http://www.economist.com/news/business-and-finance/21720580-ugly-incident-provokes-social-media-storm-passenger-dragged-united-airlines

Quotation: The company’s initial response was possibly the worst bit of crisis-PR in history, noted one media commentator. As videos of the bloodied man quickly went viral, Oscar Munoz, the carrier’s boss, woodenly apologized for having to “re-accommodate” customers. In an internal letter to staff, Mr Munoz said crew had “no choice” in their action and blamed the flyer for not co-operating.
    ===
    Hi everyone! Does "re-accommodate" here mean "to arrange a later flight for customers"?

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    < Previous | Next >