(re)Broadcasting/live

peter199083

Mandarin
hi,
Very often can I see broadcasting/live on the TV screen. Any difference between them?
My simple guess 'broadcasting' is more often used in news coverage while screens are alwayse tagged 'live' in sports events or entertaining activities.
Another word 'rebroadcasting' is employed to demonstrate the ongoing program has been presented or broadcast beforehand, is that right?

Last edited:
  • armour65

United States English
    hi,
    Very often can I see broadcasting/live on the TV screen. Any difference between them?
    My simple guess 'broadcasting' is more often used in news coverage while screens are alwayse tagged 'live' in sports events or entertaining activities.
    Another word 'rebroadcasting' is employed to demonstrated the ongoing program has been presented or broadcast beforehand, is that right?
    Broadcasting is not exclusive to news coverage. However, I think the word you are looking for is "Live", which should be used exclusively to mean "a transmission broadcasted in real time".

To broadcast merely means to transmit a signal from a station to a television and should not be used as an indicator of either live, re-run, or delayed.

heypresto

English - England
    armour65 is right.

I would just add that in BE we don't talk about 'rebroadcasting' - we say the programme is 'a repeat', or it is being 'repeated'. I believe this is called a 're-run' in AE?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    hi,
    Is that forward slash supposed to be there?

I may be off track here but you cannot 'see' broadcasting. Broadcasting is the sending of waves from a transmitter to a TV.

You perhaps mean you see a 'live broadcast'. This is when the TV cameras at an event are connected to the transmitter mast directly and the pictures are then broadcast in real time to the TV.

Some programs, however, are pre-recorded. The are recorded in a studio and then broadcast at a later time.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    However, I think the word you are looking for is "Live", which should be used exclusively to mean "a transmission broadcasted in real time".
    Note that : broadcast and forecast are recently getting a new "regularized" past form as broadcasted and forecasted (from the weather folks) - the older form does not have the -ed form.
    For an olde example : And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Revelations 12:9

peter199083

Mandarin
    Is that forward slash supposed to be there?

I may be off track here but you cannot 'see' broadcasting. Broadcasting is the sending of waves from a transmitter to a TV.

You perhaps mean you see a 'live broadcast'. This is when the TV cameras at an event are connected to the transmitter mast directly and the pictures are then broadcast in real time to the TV.

Some programs, however, are pre-recorded. The are recorded in a studio and then broadcast at a later time.
    By "/", I mean 'or'. Because our bloody CCTV's (Central China Telivision) English Channel did use 'broadcasting' and 'rebroadcasting' on the upper-right corner of screen which also puzzled me. According to my prior knowledge, only 'live' is accepted.
    BTW do you have some words, like 'live', on certain corner of screen when the broadcasting company wanted to demonstrate which time the ongoing is being played?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It's not just your TV - it happens in the US as well. They put "Live" at the top right of the screen when it is being broadcast at the same time as it is happening - a live broadcast is not delayed - you see what is happening at the same time as it happens (perhaps a few seconds due to the time to process the signal through all the relays). Unfortunately, some stations are stupid enough to use that feed (with the "live" label superimposed on it) to record it for future use - so when I see something, for example in California, that was broadcast live earlier in the day to New York, I see the "Live" sign when it clearly is delayed. As a result, I never trust anything that says "Live" any more :(

ribran

English - American
    I believe most live programs in the United States are broadcast on an eight-second delay in case someone should curse on the air.

peter199083

Mandarin
    It's not just your TV - it happens in the US as well. They put "Live" at the top right of the screen when it is being broadcast at the same time as it is happening - a live broadcast is not delayed - you see what is happening at the same time as it happens (perhaps a few seconds due to the time to process the signal through all the relays). Unfortunately, some stations are stupid enough to use that feed (with the "live" label superimposed on it) to record it for future use - so when I see something, for example in California, that was broadcast live earlier in the day to New York, I see the "Live" sign when it clearly is delayed. As a result, I never trust anything that says "Live" any more :(
    Did you ever witness 'live' was deliberately erased and an 're-run' or 'repeat' was then added? I really wanna know whether 're-run' or 'repeat' can be used on the TV as 'Live', or they are just colloquial expressions.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    (We don't use "wanna" in written English!)
    Not all stations do what I said, and I frequently see (for shows that have been tape delayed due to time zone differences) "recorded earlier". If the show is not happening while the broadcast is happening (with that tiny electronic delay and the one ribran mentioned) then it is not live and cannot be called live. Many shows are rebroadcast (for example late at night for those who were at work when it was shown "live") and some shows are (perpetually, it seems :( ) re-run becuase they are so popular (and moneymaking for the network -e.g. Friends!) Re-broadcast and re-run are quite common expressions.

ribran

English - American
    Did you ever witness 'live' was deliberately erased and an 're-run' or 'repeat' was then added? I really wanna know whether 're-run' or 'repeat' can be used on the TV as 'Live', or they are just colloquial expressions.
    Usually, when a live broadcast is recorded and then shown again at a later date, the words "Recorded earlier" appear in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

< Previous | Next >