re-enactment (of "Alive")

< Previous | Next >

Biloute

French, France
Hi !

The sentence I need help with is part of a dialog :

-Get the window fixed..
-I left Luke a message. He'll do it.
-Before or after a re-enactment of Alive ?
-Hopefully before.

I was wondering if re-enactment could mean "rediffusion" when used in a context which has to do with television ?

And does Alive refers to the Canadian TV series of the years 1992-1999 (that's sth I found on the Internet) or to something else ? (A film ?)

Thanks to anyone who can help me ! :)

• kertek

UK English
    I think it's referring to the 1993 film Alive, a true story starring Ethan Hawke, where a rugby team are stranded in the Andes after a plane crash and have to survive the cold. So the speaker is implying that if he doesn't fix the window soon, it'll be so cold that they'll be recreating the film in the house...

Biloute

French, France
    Thanks for your replies, everybody !

Non, ils ne rejouent pas la scène entre eux.

La traduction "reconstitution" me semble bizarre ici, parce que je ne vois pas trop le sens que ça aurait dans ce contexte (bien que ce soit la traduction donnée par tous les dictionnaires !).

You must be right, Kertek, I forgot that I had found this film on the Internet too, and it's much more famous than the TV series I was referring to.

By the way, I found out that this dialog was taken from the TV series The Gilmore Girls. So there is humour and irony in it...

xx

Biloute

French, France
    Well, I actually thought that the girl who says "-Before or after a re-enactment of Alive ?" means : "Do you think that Luke will fix the window before or after HE does/watches a re-enactment of Alive".

But apparently, it seemed obvious to all of you that the character meant :
    "Do you think that Luke will fix the window before or after WE do/watch a re-enactment of Alive"...

So I don't really know what to think !
    :confused:

kertek

UK English
    Re-enactment couldn't refer to an episode on TV - I'm sure it's talking about the people "recreating" a scene from the film, and not watching one.

As for whether it's "he" or "we" - it depends whether the speaker is in the room, and is cold too, or is just worried about the others...

< Previous | Next >