(re)engage

< Previous | Next >

bLueBottLE

Turkey, Turkish
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what 'to (re-)engage' might mean in this context:

We've also re-engaged the United Nations. We have paid our bills. We have joined the Human Rights Council. We have signed the Convention of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

It's President Obama delivering a speech before the UN. He tells about the latest initiatives the US government has taken.
Thank you in advance.

• JamesM

I'm not sure why it's not "re-engaged with". It means that you are back in contact in some way. "We have re-engaged the enemy" would mean that you had had a battle with the enemy followed by a period of non-engagement and now a re-engagement.

"We have re-engaged the United Nations" seems like an odd turn of phrase in this context. "Re-engaged" can also mean "we have recaptured the interest of" but it certainly doesn't mean that in this context.

I would have said "We have re-engaged with the United Nations", meaning that we are back in some sort of active relationship with the UN. I suspect Mr. Obama meant the same thing when he said "We have re-engaged the United Nations".

bLueBottLE

Turkey, Turkish
    Ok. Even though I think it's very unlikely for Obama's speech writers to have made such a mistake, I'll translate it as 'engage with'.

Thank you!

JamesM

Well, I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be able to see the original speech instead of the transcribed speech as delivered. It's entirely possible that the text of the speech was "engaged with", at least in my mind.

< Previous | Next >