re-gendering or cross-gendered wholeness

entrapta

Italian
re-gendering or cross-gendered wholeness

I know this quite a mouthful; I'm trying to make some sense out of this. Now the sentence is about Ali (the boxer's) looks, his supposed prettiness. It says: "it has been read as a sing of late twentieth-century "re-gendering" or "cross-gendered wholeness"". It's a quotation from some guy and I couldn't find the text to add some helpful context. I'm tried to deconstruct the phrase... re-gendering -> riassegnazione di genere? (gendering is attibuting a gender or gender identity to someone? and the latter: (cross-gendered wholeness unità intergenerica, a unity in which genders overlap, no clear distinction of gender?). I have no idea as to what is the connection to Ali prettiness ;)but I'd appreciate your thoughts on this one.

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi, Entrapta - I get the gender references but the timeline seems to be off.
    Regendering refers to actual sex reassignment (male to female and vice versa) and cross-gendered wholeness is, as you said, about male qualities in the female and female qualities in the male for an integrated self. However these are recent concepts and I don't know how it applies to Ali when he was "pretty" - he had a round, chubby face, almost hairless, so I guess he looked like a pretty girl. But nobody would dare say that at that time.

entrapta

Italian
    Fossi un maschio non mi piacerebbe essere definito "pretty" . Ti dico di più: "pretty boy" in BE indica un gay.;)
    The definition is not mine... anyway beauty would be way too much for him, sorry. to joanvilla: sorry it actually says that this interpretation is recent. So re-gendering is about reassigning gender and the latter the wholeness (of society I guess) in which there are no more clear gender boundaries. Well it's a pretty stupid sentence but anyway... It's about Ali's appeal to diverse constituents and through different times

< Previous | Next >