reach his academic dream

< Previous | Next >

LQZ

Mandarin
Dear all,

I am trying to translate a letter from Chinese to Enlish, and here is my attempt.

Today I am so glad that Mr. Zhu is ready to step forward to reach his academic dream, and I feel honoured to recommend him for your distinguished program.

Is reach a big word that is overused? Can you recommon any word better than reach? Thanks.

LQZ

• e2efour

UK English
    Today I am very glad that Mr. Zhu is ready to take a step towards his academic dream, and I am honoured to have this opportunity to recommend him for your distinguished program.

Alternative: is ready to take this important step towards achieving his academic dream

srta chicken

US English
    You usually reach a goal but fulfill a dream.

How about, ...Mr. Zhu is ready to take the first steps toward fulfilling his academic dream...

e2efour

UK English
    Fulfilling a dream is fine. We can also write achieving or realising.

NB toward(s) can be written with or without s. In the USA it is a little more common without.

I would write program, not distinguished program!

LQZ

Mandarin
    e2efour, thank you for your help. But could you please tell me why "distinguished" would be removed, if you were to write? To my mind, I was going to describe how the program is. :)

e2efour

UK English
    To me "distinguished" sounds what we call "over the top". It sounds as if you are trying to be too polite!

If you want to put something before program, I suggest "excellent", but only if you know that it is excellent.

LQZ

Mandarin
    To me "distinguished" sounds what we call "over the top". It sounds as if you are trying to be too polite!

If you want to put something before program, I suggest "excellent", but only if you know that it is excellent.
    Thank you, e2efour, I've got it.:)

< Previous | Next >